e waste mixed hi grade Mystery Metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agold2019

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I have read parts of the forum for years though. I want to start with I am reading hokes book because that is the common response to get before reading through the post :lol: i am on page 45 when I came up with this question. to start I want to say that I have been in the e waste recycling business for the last 12 years looking back I would have made 10 x more refining my own gold than reselling being one of the pioneers in New York recycling e waste in the scrap yard style. When I was doing it the most, it was just the beginning of this information coming out and I did not find anything useful nor wanted to play with acids. It has always been a goal of mine to learn how to get the precious metals from the materials a long time. My father was doing it on a small scale when I was getting out of the business with AP but not efficiently and only returning gold. Recently I had started to look into it again by reading this forum and watching the YouTube videos from safety sandals to backcountry ic cookout to let’s pollute the country and make sure not to forget a google ad in between this sentence for some gold videos. I got to the post hokes book today and then started to read it realizing I should and need to which I am already realizing I did need to. The point of the post would be before I learned cellphone board scrap is hard to refine and shouldn’t be my first process I bought around 20kg to do some testing with to start my journey. I didn’t have a scale for small weight but I’m pretty spot on with weight after doing this for the last 15 years so it was around 700 to 750 g of highest grade gold plated parts and pins on the cellphone and some fingers off memory I had bought. My thought process for now to do a test was to use nitric on only the highest grade and see my return to what I paid for by removing the base metals then cementing the silver out after gold was removed. I was going to give the alloy I made to a friend who is a manager in a big refiner in New York that I can trust. Or possibly refine it later on down the road. I am still deciding if this should be a hobby or a business. Getting the material isn’t a problem but finding a way to work with that much material is. After the process was done another metal was left over. It looks like possibly silver or palladium unless it is some junk. I’m not sure of the ways to test it. I see it mentioned but never see how to do the tests. Can somebody explain for me what to look into and if this looks familiar let me know what they think.

Thanks

Adam

Attachments

• 1F4C9C08-B2A4-4CFE-BC52-5E81E0AC6D8B.png
    1F4C9C08-B2A4-4CFE-BC52-5E81E0AC6D8B.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 334
Hello everyone this is my first post here. I have read parts of the forum for years though. I want to start with I am reading hokes book because that is the common response to get before reading through the post :lol: i am on page 45 when I came up with this question.

to start I want to say that I have been in the e waste recycling business for the last 12 years looking back I would have made 10 x more refining my own gold than reselling being one of the pioneers in New York recycling e waste in the scrap yard style. When I was doing it the most, it was just the beginning of this information coming out and I did not find anything useful nor wanted to play with acids. It has always been a goal of mine to learn how to get the precious metals from the materials a long time. My father was doing it on a small scale when I was getting out of the business with AP but not efficiently and only returning gold.

Recently I had started to look into it again by reading this forum and watching the YouTube videos from safety sandals to backcountry is cookout to let’s pollute the country and make sure not to forget a google ad in between this sentence for some gold videos. I got to the post hokes book today and then started to read it realizing I should and need to which I am already realizing I did need to. The point of the post would be before I learned cellphone board scrap is hard to refine and shouldn’t be my first process I bought around 20kg to do some testing with to start my journey. I didn’t have a scale for small weight but I’m pretty spot on with weight after doing this for the last 15 years so it was around 700 to 750 g of highest grade gold plated parts and pins on the cellphone and some fingers off memory I had bought.

My thought process for now to do a test was to use nitric on only the highest grade and see my return to what I paid for by removing the base metals then cementing the silver out after gold was removed. I was going to give the alloy I made to a friend who is a manager in a big refiner in New York that I can trust. Or possibly refine it later on down the road. I am still deciding if this should be a hobby or a business. Getting the material isn’t a problem but finding a way to work with that much material is.

After the process was done another metal was left over. It looks like possibly silver or palladium unless it is some junk. I’m not sure of the ways to test it. I see it mentioned but never see how to do the tests. Can somebody explain for me what to look into and if this looks familiar let me know what they think.

I did try to make you laugh so I’m glad it worked. I suppose it worked on Jim too. I came as a person seeking help which is what I thought this forum was about. By the looks of it now seems to be an English correction board plus laughing at others uneducated expense that are trying to learn. I am at page 50 not missing anything. Anyone with a real contribution? Advice or help identifing. Like I said at this point I am only shooting for recovery.

Agold2019,
I am not laughing, but I am curious if you are actually serious about learning these skills.
I wonder if you are willing to spend years of study to gain an understanding of the reactions and how to perform them safely and efficiently.

So:
You dumped nitric acid on a bunch of electronic scrap and you have read 50 pages.
You do not even have a clue of the metals involved or how the acid reacts to them, or how the acid itself reacts...

Read some more, stop playing with dangerous acids and metals you do not have an understanding of how they react or the dangers involved.

Do the getting acquainted experiments after reading some more.
Spend time studying the topics in the forum's safety section, like dealing with waste, working safely with acids, protecting yourself from the deadly gases and the many other dangers involved.
Now, what was your question maybe we can help you answer it.
What mystery metal are you trying to test for?

I was laughing because Jim asked you for "paragraphs..... Please", and you reposted the entire post in paragraphs.
You shouldn't make assumptions, and you shouldn't make condescending posts, about the people that you are requesting help from.

Agold

Take your lumps mate, dust yourself off and chalk it down to a rite of passage. When you've been on here as long as some of us you'll understand!

This isn't a board that blows smoke up your behind and babysits you but it IS the best for learning.

So- next steps?

Jon

butcher said:
Agold2019,
I am not laughing, but I am curious if you are actually serious about learning these skills.
I wonder if you are willing to spend years of study to gain an understanding of the reactions and how to perform them safely and efficiently.

So:
You dumped nitric acid on a bunch of electronic scrap and you have read 50 pages.
You do not even have a clue of the metals involved or how the acid reacts to them, or how the acid itself reacts...

Read some more, stop playing with dangerous acids and metals you do not have an understanding of how they react or the dangers involved.

Do the getting acquainted experiments after reading some more.
Spend time studying the topics in the forum's safety section, like dealing with waste, working safely with acids, protecting yourself from the deadly gases and the many other dangers involved.
Now, what was your question maybe we can help you answer it.
What mystery metal are you trying to test for?

I am here studying now and willing to learn. I have already realized the point in testing certain materials to see their reactions take place. I have understood that much from the book so far.

I had all, as far as I was concerned, clean material and as far as I looked into it the nitric way would remove the base metals and leave me the gold foil which I could cement out the silver after with copper.

The first thing I had studied was the safety precautions and how and what to do with the waste. I already have decided to go the evaporating route and grow copper Crystals. I do know what metals are involved. Not personally with reactions but as much as every experienced ewaste guy knows if not much more. I used to buy product by the trailer load. I had just never got into the refining part which I wish I had on the high grade material having access to unlimited amounts in 2010. I have found the main e waste scrap place where I moved so now thinking about buying and reclaiming and possibly refining high grade material to turn a profit or just hold gold as an investment.

As for the metal, it is in the picture. The grey metal which I am assuming could possibly be silver and or palladium. I hope. The solution is extremely dark blue meaning full of copper so my thought process was it already pushed out the higher metals in reactivity series. Please tell me what you think.

I understand where you are coming from. Safety is number one for me especially dealing with acids and heavy metals. Like I said at this moment it was only a test to see what I can recover. I have a friend at a big refinery who can test and print out the results with an x ray but he doesn’t live down the street anymore so that will take some time to get around to. I came here for some words of advice or knowledge. I appreciate anything said.

Johnny5 said:
I was laughing because Jim asked you for "paragraphs..... Please", and you reposted the entire post in paragraphs.
You shouldn't make assumptions, and you shouldn't make condescending posts, about the people that you are requesting help from.

Then my intention to make you laugh worked. You shouldnt make assumptions through text before you get the full story. No hard feelings. I am not trying to be disrespectful.

anachronism said:
Agold

Take your lumps mate, dust yourself off and chalk it down to a rite of passage. When you've been on here as long as some of us you'll understand!

This isn't a board that blows smoke up your behind and babysits you but it IS the best for learning.

So- next steps?

Jon

Another comedian. Id barely call these lumps. Dust is more like it. The smoke already has blown. So yes next step or opinions please and thanks.

Are you talking about the brownish grey goo in the filter? Tin, maybe some silver chloride... hard to tell.

You should do the acquaintance tests, here is a shortcut. http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hoke_acquaintance_experiments

And since you have access to nitric you should test with some different types of brass and bronze. Some of the alloys will leave a part that doesn't dissolve. It will be a good learning experience.

There is another book that Hoke wrote, "Testing Precious Metals", a good read to learn how to test for different metals.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=266853#p266853

... and something for you to ponder on, what is the reaction if you put palladium in nitric acid?

Welcome to the forum! :D

Göran

g_axelsson said:
Are you talking about the brownish grey goo in the filter? Tin, maybe some silver chloride... hard to tell.

You should do the acquaintance tests, here is a shortcut. http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Hoke_acquaintance_experiments

And since you have access to nitric you should test with some different types of brass and bronze. Some of the alloys will leave a part that doesn't dissolve. It will be a good learning experience.

There is another book that Hoke wrote, "Testing Precious Metals", a good read to learn how to test for different metals.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=266853#p266853

... and something for you to ponder on, what is the reaction if you put palladium in nitric acid?

Welcome to the forum! :D

Göran

Yes I was talking about the grey stuff. I have seen and heard here of Metastannic acid but no examples to show. Despite what many people may think I have been doing the research. Besides hokes book I am on page 23 of chemical reactions here and read a lot of others. Between reading here and watching YouTube videos I have been studying non stop for weeks. Not to mention the years of experience I have with the actual products. I’m by no means a pro but I’m trying to learn and grasp the concepts. Like I said I am also still deciding if I want to refine a few ounces to keep as in investment or start a business refining tons of electronic scrap. I’m not sure if I would ever get that that point but it would be interesting to learn.

I was hoping that it was not only and all Tin. There is no attraction to a magnet. As of now I am admittedly only up to date on the scrappers way to determine metals. Magnetic or not.

Thank you for the link I am going to read that now. I think that is what I was looking and asking for.

Yes I do have access to nitric and it’s also fairly cheap. It costs $6 for a gallon. I will do the tests you are saying next. I need a better and safer work space so for now I am only going to learn more and buy materials until I continue with testing.

Palladium in nitric is no reaction I believe if I remember correctly? So I was not sure if that could have been the product left behind.

So for now my plan would to be study and learn more. I’m going to try to buy some memory and or cpus scrap and if possible some sweepings for an easier recovery learning experience.

How does that all sound?

Now my question.

If this is only Tin and gold mixed do you have advice to clean my mess? I’m guessing I shouldn’t melt it together if that is the case. I was first thinking of making an alloy but what I read is Tin is a problem for even an experienced refiner.

I attached two more pictures.

Edit to say Palladium does slowly dissolve in nitric.

Attachments

• 4F81729A-1B8B-4C59-B7D5-03029471A2EA.jpeg
    4F81729A-1B8B-4C59-B7D5-03029471A2EA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 250
  • 0E70896B-28C3-4EDE-92F4-7D65AEB1199B.jpeg
    0E70896B-28C3-4EDE-92F4-7D65AEB1199B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 250
Agold2019 said:
anachronism said:
Agold

So- next steps?

Jon

Another comedian. Id barely call these lumps. Dust is more like it. The smoke already has blown. So yes next step or opinions please and thanks.

Comedian? Ha. Ok. Not something I'm noted for but hey enjoy.

anachronism said:
Agold2019 said:
anachronism said:
Agold

So- next steps?

Jon

Comedian? Ha. Ok. Not something I'm noted for but hey enjoy.

You are noted for fire if I’m correct? This was my original thought process to what should be done with electronic scrap. I am basically trying to still figure out if and what way I should take to maximize profits on scrap boards by either recovery or refinery and what path to go. Any words of advice?

Agold2019 said:
anachronism said:
Sadly I'm all out of comedy.

Thanks for the wise words. You weren’t too funny anyway.

1. You come on here looking for help.
2. You slag off people for asking you to present your post in a legible manner.
3. I throw you an olive branch and you reply by calling me a comedian.
4. Nobody is paid to give you help or advice, you are not entitled to it. It's given freely but with no obligation to do so.
5. You'll last about another day on here with that kind of attitude when in fact you should be thankful for the help you are given.
6. I'm not sharing a damned thing with you because your entitled attitude stinks.

anachronism said:
Agold2019 said:
anachronism said:
Sadly I'm all out of comedy.

Thanks for the wise words. You weren’t too funny anyway.

1. You come on here looking for help.
2. You slag off people for asking you to present your post in a legible manner.
3. I throw you an olive branch and you reply by calling me a comedian.
4. Nobody is paid to give you help or advice, you are not entitled to it. It's given freely but with no obligation to do so.
5. You'll last about another day on here with that kind of attitude when in fact you should be thankful for the help you are given.
6. I'm not sharing a damned thing with you because your entitled attitude stinks.

Sorry if I came off that way. I really don’t know where you are getting it from. The first person said paragraphs and I separated it better. It’s hard to see and do because I am on the phone. I did it. He said he laughed and i said I was trying to get him to laugh. I was not disrespecting you saying you were a comedian. You just took it the wrong way. I thought it was funny. If you don’t want to help me that’s fine I didn’t ask you to. I asked somebody who wants to help. I didn’t ask for somebody to clog up and spam the thread with insults because you took what i said the wrong way. I came to learn not fight. Sorry.

Well maybe you should have thought more about what you said and how you said it. First impressions count.

Don't play the victim card now, its really quite transparent. I'm out.

Back