Jeweler's Bobbing Compound

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

I processed some wax based, jeweler's bobbing compound for my friend the jeweler. I know that solvents can be used to dissolve the wax. Has anyone here ever used solvent to dissolve the wax from jeweler's bobbing compound to recover the gold from the compound?

Thank you
kadriver

No.
I used to incinerate the powders from the polishings within a closed environment, a lidded tote tray, sieve to remove any large Metallics and then boil in AR.
Job done no sweat.

Thanks Nick. I did the same except I burned the wax compound in a corningware dish. It took six hours to burn it down to a fine dry ash over high heat, 456 grams of bobbing compound. I posted the video then folks started saying that I should have used solvent to dissolve the wax. I'd never heard of that. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

kadriver

While Im just a year or two into this I’d say I’m sure there is other ways like solvent extraction but you got the gold and it’s not like you are doing it every day. And mostly in your videos you call it “the experiment”.

I learned a lot from you and your videos. Keep it up even if it’s not what the masses think you should do.

That’s not solvent extraction William.

But I wouldn’t want to dissolve wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoman701 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The term solvent extraction can also refer to the separation of a substance from a mixture by preferentially dissolving that substance in a suitable solvent.

Wikipedia

Williamjf77 said:
snoman701 said:

The term solvent extraction can also refer to the separation of a substance from a mixture by preferentially dissolving that substance in a suitable solvent.

Wikipedia

Yeah, but we are talking about gold recovery, not wax recovery. Lets not mix up established concepts. Solvent extraction in this area is extracting gold or precious metals in a solvent that preferably dissolves the precious metal (salt) we are recovering.

It would be another thing if we took the discussion over at the wax refining forum. :mrgreen:

Göran

Back