BURNING ACTIVATED CARBON

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldmet

Hello friends.
I want to share how to burn activated carbon with gold.
There is much talk of burning gold activated carbon. That is very difficult but if first ground and form a pellet in the following proportion can be performed easily.
The coal is agglomerated with a mixture of
5 liters of water
600g of sodium nitrate
200g maltodextrin
The pellet dry and burn easily
Good luck

Attachments

• x5555e09.jpg
    x5555e09.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 689
  • x5555e08.jpg
    x5555e08.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 689
Hi there

There are various types of activated carbon as I am sure you are aware. Much of it is made with coconut husks and then it is graded to the applicable size required for the particular application it is needed for. It's really not expensive to buy it as a finished product.

goldmet said:
Hello friends.
There is much talk of burning gold activated carbon. That is very difficult but if first ground and form a pellet in the following proportion can be performed easily.
5 liters of water
600g of sodium nitrate
200g maltodextrin
Good luck
How much coal?

Göran

I think that is the recipie to make the "coal"....but, he does not say how much pregnant carbon is used in that ratio of other ingredients.

And a google image search brought up a few interesting results..

Topher_osAUrus said:
I think that is the recipie to make the "coal"....but, he does not say how much pregnant carbon is used in that ratio of other ingredients.

I think you're wrong, he wrote "I want to share how to burn activated carbon with gold."
Anyhow, the only source of carbon in that recipe is in the 200g maltodextrin and that would be burned off by the sodium nitrate that is an oxidator. With 5 liters of water there is something missing and that is the amount of carbon, loaded or not.

Göran

I think he is proposing taking the loaded carbon and making easy to burn briquettes to eliminate a kiln for ashing. Still the amount of carbon to make the briquettes is still an important number to leave out.

Then we are on the same page, I thought you meant making activated coal. Rereading your comment I don't know how I could have misread it as you clearly wrote "pregnant carbon". Maybe it was after reading anachronisms comment about activated carbon.

Göran

anachronism said:
Hi there

There are various types of activated carbon as I am sure you are aware. Much of it is made with coconut husks and then it is graded to the applicable size required for the particular application it is needed for. It's really not expensive to buy it as a finished product.
I speak of coconut shell activated carbon

g_axelsson said:
goldmet said:
Hello friends.
5 liters of water
600g of sodium nitrate
200g maltodextrin
Good luck
How much coal?

Göran
Carbon is ground to 100 # Dry and a pellet is formed with the solution

Topher_osAUrus said:

The proportion of solution is sufficient to form a pellet to be approximately 40% water.

g_axelsson said:
Then we are on the same page, I thought you meant making activated coal. Rereading your comment I don't know how I could have misread it as you clearly wrote "pregnant carbon". Maybe it was after reading anachronisms comment about activated carbon.

Göran
This is to recover gold from activated carbon burning.
This process replaces the desorption.

4metals said:
I think he is proposing taking the loaded carbon and making easy to burn briquettes to eliminate a kiln for ashing. Still the amount of carbon to make the briquettes is still an important number to leave out.
The activated carbon Kilo costs US 5 can absorb up to 15 grams.
That is profitable

g_axelsson said:
Topher_osAUrus said:

I think you're wrong, he wrote "I want to share how to burn activated carbon with gold."
Anyhow, the only source of carbon in that recipe is in the 200g maltodextrin and that would be burned off by the sodium nitrate that is an oxidator. With 5 liters of water there is something missing and that is the amount of carbon, loaded or not.

Göran
The ratio of coal and solution is 1000 g / 400 cc to form the pellet.

goldmet said:
g_axelsson said:
Topher_osAUrus said:

Göran
The ratio of coal and solution is 1000 g / 400 cc to form the pellet.
For coal combustion activated gold. Maltodextrin is binder, sodium nitrate is the oxidizing and coal is the fuel.
Gold remains in the ashes.

Yes, he showed actual charcoal briquettes being made, not gold-loaded activated carbon briquettes.

The image search i did brought back these results from that picture:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5555e/x5555e07.htm
And
http://bearmountainpa.weebly.com

Both talk of making your own charcoal, and its uses for home heating, the differences between coke and charcoal, lump coal and briquettes..

From what i read on that images "original" site (not sure if its the copywrite owner, or just scanned from a book) there was only mention of 3 items in general manufacturing. Coal, binder, and burn control (oxidizer).

In the literature I have read there has yet to be mention of incorporating in a precious metal bearing carbon source.

So i was just curious to see pictures of him doing this as a practical solution to carbon ashing, or if it was a hypothetical suggestion where the guinea pigs are others.

Topher_osAUrus said:
So i was just curious to see pictures of him doing this as a practical solution to carbon ashing, or if it was a hypothetical suggestion where the guinea pigs are others.

I don't think you will see him making the pellets. The photo shown in the post looked to be very old and dated. What you have to understand is WHAT procedure you are using to capture the gold in the carbon.

If anyone wants to spend the money to buy a pellet making machine they can. You don't have to buy a machine to make pellets or charcoal briquettes. You make molds to put the slurry into. If you don't know the proper ratio to make the mix you have to plat around to figure it out.

Goldmet said 1000 grams to 400 cc to form the pellets. Is he talking about 400 cc of solution plus all the additives or if you have 5000 cc of gold containing solution add the additives and 1000 grams per 400 cc of solution? Part of the puzzle is left out or you have a known quanity of gold bearing solution and you need to add the additives and a certain amount of charcoal.

What process did the op use to recovery the gold and to collect it in carbon? The only one I can think of is cyanide. A lot of people on the forum are scratching their heads with the eco-goldex solution right now.
Reading that thread people are waiting on a answer. Everyone needs to read that thread. Is it a fast way to recover gold? Maybe but no one on this forum has yet to recover gold from the solution that I know of. If they have they haven't posted about it.

People need to ask themselves if they are after a quick nickel or a slow dime. Is the price of your neighbors or family worth a little bit of gold?

You want to make charcoal? Go dig a hole in the back yard. Preferably out of the flow of water in case it rains. Dig a hole put some wood in it light it on fire let it get to burning good and start throwing dirt on top of the fire not so fast that it smothers the fire out. After you get the fire cover with about 8 inches of dirt watch the dirt pile. The best time is to do it just before dark. Get a flashlight after dark and shine the light over the burn area or dirt pile. You will see smoke coming through the dirt. This is called off gassing. The gases contained in the wood are being heated and VAPORIZING in to the air. Go and pull the dirt off the wood and the wood flame up like a fire should and will. A fire needs oxygen to burn smothering it out will cause it to smolder. Just like charcoal is made.

Back