Bar Finish

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colu41

So its been awhile since I've made any silver bars for myself. But now I'm back into it. And a little more serious about it. Two years ago I started a small knifemaking business, so I built myself a small high temp oven/kiln for heat treating. And now it doubles as my melting furnace.
My question is.
I've melted this 500 gram bar 3 different times with slight changes in the process. I'm looking for the smooth top look, like the Perth Mint, or the RMC poured bars. I'm not a HUGE fan of the thick pour lines, and the deep trench in the middle is just unattractive. Here is my last pour. The silver itself was heated to 1975* F in the furnace. And then poured into a warmed graphite mold. A Mapp torch was over the pour the whole time, hoping to eliminate as much of the excces O2 as I could. Could someone give me some tips on how to get the look I'm going for? I've never done a pour this big before either. I've only really done, 1 through 5 oz pours in the past.

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153417584@N05/8gfHqv

Looks like you still have oxygen. The mapp torch uses ox to burn and is pouring it into your silver as it cools. Trying using just pure propane gas burning and feed from a bbq grill tank burning over the top of it. If it's only one bar put it back into the mold and melt it and the mold at the same time in the furnace. Turn the furnace off and let it cool down for about 15 minutes and then remove the bar. Controlled cooling is the key, but your still not going to get a perfect mint bar.

I did not know that Mapp uses oxygen. Next melt I'll just use a straight propane tank and see if there's a difference.
And are you suggesting remelting the bar right in the graphite mold? I've always been told that isn't good for the mold but, worth a shot maybe for last resort.

I understand I won't get the quality of say an induction style pouring system or whatever those cool machines are but, smoother than I currently am doing.

When I was doing smaller bars they were turning out great, decently smooth, clean and with a lot of luster. These bigger bars seem to bubble a lot more and leave the finish a little matte colored.

Thanks. I'll try to post some more pics tmrw when I try the propane.

Lou said:
Kilo done with H2 fan flame

Show-off. :wink:
Kidding, of course. I myself, very much appreciate seeing pictures from the guys who have been doing this and doing this, and doing this well.

So this process is just essentially putting the metal in the mold and running it through an electric oven with 100% time & temp controllability.
Aren't the graphite molds very susceptible to wear and breakage when heated up repeatedly and for long periods of time?

I once had 5 plates made that had 10 1 oz cavities each = 50 bars. You need PURE silver. I used the cell followed by a cl step. The client wanted 1,000 bars back. He sent me the silver brazing to refine and then wanted something special back. He's a long term investor and just wanted something unique back. Money wasn't his thing, he had plenty of that! Must be nice right! lol He didn't want the average of what everybody else wanted like flat and smooth. It was the snowflake crystal pattern he was after. Yawl know the ones i'm talking about!

I made the mistake of sending him one back from his lot that came out just right! He paid for the molds and everything i requested. It cost several hundred dollars! He explained it to me like this. He said i only lose money based on today! He said it's a 1,000 oz and if it cost me an extra dollar an oz do you think i'm going to worry about it? Tomorrow it will go up that dollar and i will still make money. Anyway i handled the mold with kid gloves and they held up just fine as far as i'm concerned. New molds, pure product, NO flux!

In case y'all didn't know, this is what the crystal pattern he's talking about looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 438
colu41 said:
So this process is just essentially putting the metal in the mold and running it through an electric oven with 100% time & temp controllability.
Aren't the graphite molds very susceptible to wear and breakage when heated up repeatedly and for long periods of time?

No. Not really. It is very high density graphite and in protective atmosphere.

For you, fan the still molten metal with a billowing reducing flame to prevent the contraction marks. Also, preheat mold.

Well, thanks for the help guys. I tried this multiple different ways again. Pouring it with a light propane flame on it to reduce O2. I tried a warm mold. And I tried a hot mold.
Then, I put the bar back in the mold, and put it in the furnace. Covered it with another piece of graphite, and let her cook for about 15 minutes at 2050*.
And it turned out like this...

Heres a direct link. https://flic.kr/p/YC2pfU
It still has a very deep hole in the center. The lines I guess are not the same as a hand pour but, it looks and feels like sandpaper. The bottom of the bar is very defined and smooth. Just has a matte silver color to it. I just can't seem to get this anywhere near what I'm looking for and I've tried almost everything.
I may just do one last hand pour and go for no bubbles, and deal with the pour lines. But even trying to get no bubbles on this large of bar seems impossible for me.

How are you controlling the cooling rate? Did you just pull it out and let it cool with the other graphite on top?

I thought I had already posted this before, don't know where it went so......

Commercially I have seen the melt process of gold and silver bars from refined metals when a mirror surface finish is desired. The refined material is placed into a graphite mold and covered with a graphite slab as stated above, this mold is then forwarded into an electric tunnel furnace which uses a controlled atmosphere in both the melt and cooling phases.

There is one thing you could try as they also use it commercially, that is placing a graphite slab cover over your mold to minimize and aid in keeping a reducing atmosphere when the bar is in the melt stage and then during the cooling process, the bars from this procedure come out with a mirror finish, the atmosphere and cooling time needs to be controlled though, as the above posts have indicated.

Some eye candy from the library!

Attachments

• zzzz.jpg
    zzzz.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 380
  • zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 380
  • zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 380
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 380
Au !

Attachments

• 10-crystals.jpg
    10-crystals.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 380
  • first files 098.JPG
    first files 098.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 380
I resent that last gold piece to be of any purity, it's appalling and a really bad refining with palladium or iron as possible contaminants.

After a second refining with an inquarting step added it got a mirror finish.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19840#p236805

Göran

After the melt period, I turned the furnace down about 500 degrees every 5 minutes. And after 10 minutes it was at about a 1000*, I shut the furnace off and let it sit another 10 minutes. The mold was covered with graphite. and I dont know how much more control I can get from that.

Back