999 Ingot Production issues

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseman

like most people , we have just gotten ourselves one of those ingot making tunnel furnaces.
in my personal opinion its not worth it , theres too much maintenance and the power consumption is waay to high! and not to mention the rejection rate. which is at 50% right now. not good at all i know...we're working on it.

im in a fix right now, we're putting in 1000.150mgm ,and the output keeps varying. we have losses ranging from 0.010 -mgm to 0.250mgms. this obviously creates a substandard bar.reject rates are through the roof. we strive to deliver excess both in purity and weight wise.

someone i met once hinted about using "fine 999 wire" to be strategically placed on the ingot before stamping , so that the said wire becomes part of the ingot and thus the weight is adjusted to give upwards of 1kg.
sounds very easy, im having practical difficulties. i was wondering if any one of the experienced members on the forum be willing to shed some light and some advice on the matter.

thanks

Welcome to the forum.
What are you using to make the weight of your ingots, powder or shot?

Trust me, it's not the equipment, it's the gold you are feeding it. Maybe we can spend some time discussing the refining process you use to generate your refined gold.

Nick's question is to determine if there is moisture in your feed, if it's shot there usually isn't (which is why most use dry shot to weigh up and place in the molds) but if it's sponge it may not be completely dry and Nick has answered your question.

What 4metals said. Something in your gold is volatile. If you start with absolutely dry sponge, this should still be expected, this loss.

Your bigger problem might be how you stamp you bar. I advise making 4N gold. There is an excellent thread here about reliably making 99,99 pure gold.

That information of course is free.

4metals said:
Trust me, it's not the equipment, it's the gold you are feeding it. Maybe we can spend some time discussing the refining process you use to generate your refined gold.

Nick's question is to determine if there is moisture in your feed, if it's shot there usually isn't (which is why most use dry shot to weigh up and place in the molds) but if it's sponge it may not be completely dry and Nick has answered your question.

It’s not just the moisture as in water but if you are feeding gold powder you may well have acids still present that will volatise your gold hence the losses!

Back