Mild Carbon Steel Sulphuric Cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philddreamer

I started working on a mild carbon steel tank for the sulphuric cell this morning.
I have a 12" x 7" glass "bowl", but I'll be de-plating dozens of pounds of material, I don't want to take any chances. I hope to start de-plating in the next day or two.

Phil

Attachments

• MCSteel Cell 012.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,148
  • MCSteel Cell 011.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,145
  • MCSteel Cell 010.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 010.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,146
Nice tank, it has the ability to run parts in the copper mesh and use the tumbler to hold the parts for stripping as described in this thread. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22554

Have you considered brazing on some copper tubing to the exterior of the tank? It isn't too hard to do if you are at all handy and if you put a garden hose adapter on the feed side and a flow control valve on the discharge, you can adjust the flow to keep the sulfuric from getting too hot. The EPA calls this type of cooling non-contact cooling water and it can go right down the drain because it hasn't contacted any chemistry. Then you can crank up the power and not worry about overheating.

Nice tank, it has the ability to run parts in the copper mesh and use the tumbler to hold the parts for stripping as described in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22554
Thank you, 4metals! I knew about the post since a read it some time ago, but I wasn't planning on the tumbler since the tank is only 9"W x 18"L x 7"D... I like the idea, though, and will research! 8)

Have you considered brazing on some copper tubing to the exterior of the tank? It isn't too hard to do if you are at all handy and if you put a garden hose adapter on the feed side and a flow control valve on the discharge, you can adjust the flow to keep the sulfuric from getting too hot. The EPA calls this type of cooling non-contact cooling water and it can go right down the drain because it hasn't contacted any chemistry. Then you can crank up the power and not worry about overheating.
Hummm... you mean, like a radiator?
I was going to fab and weld onto 3 sides, a "bladder" made of 16ga. ] and run a bilge pump... but it will take me some time, plus I'd have to coat the inside so it won't rust... I'll look into your idea, too! Thanks!

Very nice looking system.
Thank you, Frank!

Phil, if you welded that up, those are some nice beads brother.
Thank you Smack! Yes, those are my welds... I've been "practicing" for over 40 years! :lol:

Phil

edit: correction: the tank is 18" long.

Some pic's of the cooling "bladder", (19.5"L x 5"H x 1.5"), added to the steel tank. I need to apply a coat of some type of primer, (inside the bladder), so to keep it from rusting; and then finish with the plumbing.

Phil

Attachments

• MCSteel Cell 008.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 008.JPG
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 1,051
  • MCSteel Cell 007.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,048
  • MCSteel Cell 003.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 003.JPG
    898.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • MCSteel Cell 001.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,049
I love building things out of steel! That is one fine looking build and i can see the workmanship in it. Very nice!

Great job, lots of surface area to keep that sulfuric cool. It will be interesting to see how much power you can apply and maintain an operating temperature under 100 F. You should be able to put a lot of plated pins into 4.9 gallons of sulfuric.

Man I don't know Phil. I don't think the thing is going to work to well. I think you need to just pack it up and send it to me.
NOT!!! :lol:

Great job, lots of surface area to keep that sulfuric cool. It will be interesting to see how much power you can apply and maintain an operating temperature under 100 F. You should be able to put a lot of plated pins into 4.9 gallons of sulfuric.
Thank you, 4metals! I can't wait to get going! I added some RUST-OLEUM red oxide primer. After it dries, I'll be adding the protective enamel paint. It should hold the rusting so I can complete the batch. I will check HomeDepot for the proper rubberized rust inhibitor...

Phil

Had some free time this afternoon and installed the plumbing. Tried it... and no leaks! :mrgreen:

I was getting ready to fill the tank with acid and start de-plating, when I realized, that I forgot to install the small valve, so I can drain the acid when I'm done. shazzbat!!!
So I took off to Lowe's, in rush hour traffic; and half way there my wife calls: "I think you forgot something... like your wallet"! :shock: shazzbat! :roll:
O well, I'lI pick one up tomorrow...

Phil

Attachments

• MCSteel Cell 002.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 972
Thank you, Solar!
I had to take plumbing off. I need to install a drain valve for when the time comes to drain the 4+ galons of acid.
I've been also researching the tumbler, and I'm putting one together; I happen to have most of the material in my shed. It will speed up the processing of many pounds of the plated material per day...

Phil

Drain valve is on and the cell is back together. The buckets will be filled with ice so I'll be running chilled water thru the radiator. I'll be checking both, the acid's and the water's temp...
I plan to test run it tomorrow! 8)

Phil

Attachments

• MCSteel Cell 004.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 004.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 877
  • MCSteel Cell 003.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 003.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 877
  • MCSteel Cell 002.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 002.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 877
  • MCSteel Cell 001.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 001.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 876
If you are going to dream... DREAM BIG!!! Dave
INDEED!!! 8)
Thank you, Dave; I needed to be reminded!

I ran the cell yesterday for 2.75 hours, and de-plated 4.25 pounds of material. I'm happy with the results of the test! I only had 3.5 galons of acid, so I feel it didn't operate to its full capacity. The acid only covered 1/4 inch above the basket.

The cooler worked!!! I added ice into the buckets and the temp stayed at 70 degrees (+/- 2degrees) in the tank. I had to stir, though, otherwise the temp around the basket would shoot up.
The current, it would start a 2.7V, then it would run at 5.5V until the de-plating started to end; at this time the volts started to increase. When the voltage reached 9.4V, the deplating was done. The amps 8.8 all the time.

I'll try another run after I get home from work later today.

Thanks!

Phil

Attachments

• MCSteel Cell 005.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 005.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 845
  • MCSteel Cell 004.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 004.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 845
  • MCSteel Cell 002.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 002.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 844
  • MCSteel Cell 003.JPG
    MCSteel Cell 003.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 845
Very nice setup. Looking at the parts you are stripping (or the parts I assume you are stripping because they are on the bench) you can kill 2 birds with one stone by stripping in a tumbler. Agitation comes along for the ride in the tumbler.

Like all reactions in refining, a constant resupply of fresh solution speeds things up considerably. Probably the most inefficient way of stripping is in that copper basket, sometimes there are no options but by racking parts or tumbling parts you will see an increase in efficiency.

When you get the entire setup and tumbler running I would appreciate an update with pictures and I will put this in the library so the sulfuric cell threads will have an example of a complete setup when a plan comes together.

Back