Make a vacuum scrubber. Step by Step!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saadat68

Hi
I want to start making a vacuum scrubber. I have some questions that ask here and make a good scrubber with you.
Thanks for your help

Tomorrow for first step I will buy some PVC or UPVC pipe. each 90 cm with 9 cm diameter and I think its enough for 0.5 liter Nitric use per day. right?

I want to make scrubber units like these images.
attachment.php

I will use plastic connections
attachment.php

Which are safer and better? 1 or 2 ?
I think 1 is better. Can open and close, but 2 is safer, I stick it with PVC glue.
What do you think?

nzz4_35556.jpg

The proper size of the scrubber tube is determined by the flow through the scrubber. How are you providing vacuum? What is the flow rate of the vacuum pump or the Venturi you are using?

On my iPhone I didn't see the pictures, if those connectors on the cap are metal that will not work for more than 1 job. It must be all plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4metals said:
The proper size of the scrubber tube is determined by the flow through the scrubber. How are you providing vacuum? What is the flow rate of the vacuum pump or the Venturi you are using?

On my iPhone I didn't see the pictures, if those connectors on the cap are metal that will not work for more than 1 job. It must be all plastic.

I said I will use plastic connectors. they are just models. I want to use a vacuum pump 2.5 CFM

Need some advise about second question. I want to go to the shop today. Thanks guys
I prefer buy 1 but is it safe ?

saadat68 said:
4metals said:

I said I will use plastic connectors. they are just models. I want to use a vacuum pump 2.5 CFM

Need some advise about second question. I want to go to the shop today. Thanks guys
I prefer buy 1 but is it safe ?

#1 would be better because it will seal better on the pipe, if the threads are the same.
It will also give better access to the inside of the chamber and less chance of vaccum leak.

We backwards American seem to love a system based on some ancient kings shoe size so i had to convert your much more practical metric figures into our archaic feet and inches to make sense of it.

So; a 3.5" diameter by 35" long cylinder has a volume of 1.45 gallons ((Pi x ((3.5/2)^2)*35)/231 = US Gallons (231 is the number of cubic inches in a gallon, a handy number for those of us practicing the archaic system to know)

For a scrubber to be effective a retention time of 8 seconds is desirable.

Your scrubber will evacuate all of the air through your cylinder in 0.58 minutes which is 34.8 seconds and sufficient retention time for scrubbing. So 1 should do the trick but 2 would be better because a bubble through scrubber is less efficient than an air to surface film scrubber. Plus one cylinder of peroxide, another of caustic, and even a third of water would be ideal.

In either case, safe means it is safe to be exhausted out of the work space not safe to discharge into the work space.

Thanks
I bought 3 pipe and 6 PVC socket and finally 6 connections model 1 ( because I did not see your advise and went to shop, Also I check them and think they are strong enough. They have O-ring too :) Tomorrow I will give my connections and add an image from them

Pipe and sockets:
whf8_9635rg.jpg

4metals said:
If the O Ring isn't Vyton or teflon, it won't last long. I would glue them.
I think they are silicone O-rings. we can easily open and check it and if it destroyed buy another and change it :) in this system we can check all of connections very easy.
Also we can change O-rings to teflon O-rings.

Good tip :idea: - Thanks
I wanted to buy some O-rings for other connections and don't know I must buy teflon or Vyton

saadat68,

What will you be processing in nitric?

edit to add:

if you are going to use it everyday. make another entry point for dosing(scrubber maintenance) with a pvc gate valve.
another gate valve for draining is ideal. mine doesn't have this feature yet. heh

autumnwillow said:
saadat68,

What will you be processing in nitric?

edit to add:

if you are going to use it everyday. make another entry point for dosing(scrubber maintenance) with a pvc gate valve.
another gate valve for draining is ideal. mine doesn't have this feature yet. heh
I want to add valve too! 8) Don't want model 1 for draining.
Today I want to shop and he doesn't provide my connections. So I can buy model 2.
Do you think model 2 is better ? like 4metals?

I would prefer model 1 if you can get a teflon O ring for it and get a really good seal. Just in case something happens you can open it up to fix or clean it. If you can't get a good seal go for model 2.

What will you be digesting in nitric?

autumnwillow said:
I would prefer model 1 if you can get a teflon O ring for it and get a really good seal. Just in case something happens you can open it up to fix or clean it. If you can't get a good seal go for model 2.

What will you be digesting in nitric?
Silver from silver oxide batteries

If you have the silver oxide powder, often obtained by splitting the batteries so the silver oxide falls out, why do you dissolve in nitric? Silver oxide breaks down to silver metal when you melt it.

Well I think you can convert silver oxide to silver powder directly without using nitric. Search the forums.

If you are after pure crystals it would be best to create a silver cell. Also available in this forum.

Yes I thought to it. But it has other metals too like Zinc and a little Hg :shock:
Also I can't find a post about other ways. Just there is leaching with Nitric acid

Can I melt it and then refine it with silver cell ?
Maybe need searching in patents

Are you sure there is mercury?
That's highly toxic. Do not melt. Separate it away first.

Silver cell info can be found in this forum.

autumnwillow said:
Are you sure there is mercury?
That's highly toxic. Do not melt. Separate it away first.

Silver cell info can be found in this forum.
Yes they have some Hg
Palladium said:
I hammer mill, screen, two hot water rinses ( boil ), then nitric, drop with copper, and then the cell. Batteries are fairly easy. If you don't do the water washes you are out for problems. The water washes remove the hydroxides from the equation. Most of the zinc will follow the hydroxides into solution. The nitric consumption will be cut by 50-75% by doing the water washes. The material is easy to run if you follow the steps and the nitric consumption is really low compared to other types of feed stock. How much of this are you trying to run and how often?
Thanks I know I must wash them but didn't know it reduces 50% acid. It is very good
Maybe can collect 500 Kg mix batteries in year
How much water do you consume per 1 Kg batteries for rinsing ?

You are worried about generating waste? That is a good sign.

From people I have spoken to who have been to the Middle East, the thing they speak of most is the dry heat. With an excess of dry heat a solar evaporator can take care of a small refiners waste waters easily.

4metals said:
You are worried about generating waste? That is a good sign.

From people I have spoken to who have been to the Middle East, the thing they speak of most is the dry heat. With an excess of dry heat a solar evaporator can take care of a small refiners waste waters easily.
I don't worry about water waste. It is not much. and water is cheap here (0.1$ per 1000 liter)
South of Iran have dry heat. middle of Iran is not bad. I am living here. And north of Iran is like Europe:
http://cdn.fararu.com/files/fa/news/1391/5/8/20787_119.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=mazandaran&sa=X&biw=1093&bih=510&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwil5cSPsqTQAhXKPxoKHd9XCLcQsAQIJw

Back