Tilting furnace build.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickzeien

Finally got started on a furnace. It holds an A16 crucible. First pic is as purchased as an old charcoal forge. The rest are at different build points along the way

rickzeien said:
Did it work. Can you see them?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

It's a Tapatalk thing. If you look at the links, you'll see they all start with "https:". Those links will not work through the forum software with the tags. Jim edited out the [img] tags so they at least appear as links.

Dave

We could us a drool icon, :D

I would love to get to where I could justify building myself one of those.

I plan on using it to melt copper. But we can dream!

Ok. I have done a little more work on the furnace this morning. Got the burner installed and actually fired it up to dry out a crucible and the refractory. Took it up to about 700 F and held for 30 minutes and shut it off to let it cool gradually. Spout is fabricated but not installed. I am going to make a mold for casting a refractory for the spout then weld in the spout.

Maybe someone could educate me on how to attach the pics with the proper orientation.

Attachments

• furnace1.jpg
    furnace1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 305
  • furnace2.jpg
    furnace2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 305
  • furnace3.jpg
    furnace3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 304
I shot a short video for a friend. Thought I would attempt to post a link here. Let me know if you are able to view it. ( you might have to copy and paste the link into your browser)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EsgRQQWgpcqarhA39

Nice work. Do you plan on using standard bilge crucibles in the furnace? You said you will weld in a steel trough to line with castable refractory to make a pour spout. You can also get T crucibles that come with a built on spout which may be useful.

vesuvious T crucible.jpeg

Thanks 4metals,

Coming from you, I will count that as an achievement.

I purchased the original furnace as a charcoal forge. For whatever reason they had 7 crucibles that came with it.

My plan is to go through those and when I need to purchase more I will go with the ones in your post. I will modify the furnace then to accommodate them.

I made one with some scrap stainless tubing I had on hand. I will post some pictures of it soon.

I purchased the stainless braided line and the regulator on ebay.

I have not yet tried to get it to the 2000 F. If I can't I will make another and use this one on another project.

Cool....I've built quite a few different burners. They all work, it's usually more a matter of sizing the btu output so it doesn't melt your refractory, but still gets it up to temp fast enough.

They are especially fun to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you do get around to raising the temperature up to 2000ºF for the first time it will take longer than usual the first time. The castable used in the body gives off moisture until it is fully cured at high heat. In the video you posted I saw small whiffs of moisture coming off.

It would be nice to see a video of an actual pour when you are up and running.

4Metals,

Thanks for the info. I noticed the moisture gassing off as well. I have 6 more crucibles to heat up. That should dry out the furnace refractory.

I will definately keep posting updates including any smelting/melting. I still need to fabricate a cone mold.

Snowman701.

I uploaded the pic of the burner. So far it works well but I still have not tried to get a temp of 2000 F

The other pics show the temp of the furnace and the temp at the outlet of a pipe on the lower part of the front of the furnace. My plan is to use the heat from this to preheat my molds. I will custom bend a pipe so it has the clearance under the furnace where I plan to nest my mold(s)

I also uploaded the mold I made out of 3 inch angle iron. I will probably make a proper cone mold when I get some scrap steel that appropriate for the project. ( so far everything has mostly been fabricated with scrap other than the original forge and crucibles I purchased for less than 100.00)

Here ar the pics.

Attachments

• Furnace4.jpg
    Furnace4.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 267
  • furnace5.jpg
    furnace5.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 267
  • furnace6.jpg
    furnace6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 267
  • furnace7.jpg
    furnace7.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 267
4metals,

Decided to go with your tip and ordered a crucible with a spout today.

Also I added a compressed air line to my burner. Sounds like a jet. LOL

According to a color chart I found on line pretty sure I the temp up to 1800 F. My temp gun only measures up to about 950 F.

Here is a video. New video by Rick Zeien

Rick,

If at all possible, I HIGHLY suggest you do a nose pivot style tilting furnace and set it up hydraulically, as far close up to the nose as possible. It's more expensive but you will thank me if you ever start pouring things without a launder.

My big furnace I built with a center pivot, then I cut those out, welded on some 1" plate up front to the frame of the furnace and plasma cut and reamed/broached the 2" holes so that the 2" round stock that fit in the double pillow bearings couldn't come out. Heavy as hell to lift on the back end, but there is a lot more fine control!

Lou,

I agree. I have a much larger furnace that I will be doing in the near future.

I have the frame and trunions for the tilting mechanism. I am currently rebuilding some cylinders for the hydrolic tilt.

This one was sort of a practice run. Almost all built from scrap.

Thanks for the words to the wise.

Back