Testing this quartz/sulphide/pyrite/ (potentially) gold sol.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TysonHunter

Hi guys, I found this nice quartz rock with what looks to me like pyrite in it but I want to test to see if there is any gold in this rock.
2w3nfbt.jpg

I've researched and ordered some Stannous Chloride off of ebay but all the online tutorials show the testing with a gold solution. I have separated and filtered out unwanted materials (such as quartz and sulphides) and I now am left with this 'ore' dust. I am wondering what I have to do in order to make this into a solution that the Stannous Chloride can be used on. Thanks in advance.

15692ra.jpg

Gold in quartz is normally free gold, the quartz can be crushed and the gold panned out.

Pyrite can contain some gold, note that not all pyrite contains gold. Here roasting the ore to break the sulfide bond before any leaching, smelting or other process, or to put the gold or gold into solution (so you can test for it with SnCl2).

You stated that you removed sulfides, how did you do this? with a roasting process in an oxygen environment?
(Filtering out sulfides and quartz)? --- Please explain this in a bit more detail, you cannot filter out the sulfide from the metal compound of pyrite ore.

Latest posts

Back