Where to get an assay done?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsroten

I know I haven't posted much here, but I've learned a ton from you folks, and I'm about to pick back up with some gold scrap stuff. In the meantime while I was learning to deal with gold bearing powders I switched gears and went to playing with silver, mostly scrap sterling stuff I've found in thrift stores or bought at estate sales. I made my first silver bar yesterday. The process is interesting and watching the silver cement out of solution is somewhat magical to see. My bar is melted cement silver, washed up liberally before melting.

At any rate, how would I go about getting something like this assayed if I so chose. It may be cost prohibitive to do it, but it would sort of give me some idea if my processes were good. I've googled around for assay offices but having a hard time finding information.

I think I'd like to eventually build myself a silver cell, I haven't done it yet because I feel like I really just dont have enough silver to make the electrolyte and anode bar and really produce anything (I have about 10 ounces of cement). But then again, if I could get 3 9's on my cement would I bother with a cell? Is it realistic to think I could produce .999 silver without a silver cell? Your thoughts appreciated.

With cemented silver it is hard to achieve high purity, if you want to produce 999 silver then the silver chloride method is more likely to achieve your aims so long as you follow the rinsing processes well.

Back