an old process where can work?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashir

ok guys i watch a video with this process. burning mlccs, crushing in ball mill. mixing lead + borax+ sodium nitrate+ sodium bicarbonate+ mlcc's powder!!!! melting in a crucible and flow in a mold. upper black sludge is broken and underneath get a metal piece. next they prepapre a round middle deep pot with sodium carbonate and a wood ash. put that metal piece in that pot and give high heat until it boil and a black raw metarial start floating. then upper sludge broken and get a smaller metal piece than first one. now treat that metal piece with nitric. later with aqua reigia. silve and plladium percipitated out from nitric and gold from ar. i have some wuestions
1 is it necessary to use nitrates ? if yes then can potassium nitrate be used?
2 can i use same process to recycle mobile bords?
3 if i use this process for whole mobile boards, there will be alot of copper! how to remove copper as it will take more nitric ! thanks in advance

I've heard of this being done better by using a known weight of silver rather than lead.

That would change the process somewhat, however it works on the same principle. I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to help you with the fluxing - 4metals is your guy for that.

Jon

thanks jon!!! and snoman701 what is exactly mean "right flux" is it about the right chamicals? or about suitable weight? i think both are necessary! and anachronism, i want try this mathod on mobile boards without removing chips and pins from them! and i am assure it can be done! but the problem is ' there will be alot copper that will take more nitric , can i oxidise it to get final metal piece!? i will show you all my process as i start it! thanks everyone for response!

ashir said:
thanks jon!!! and snoman701 what is exactly mean "right flux" is it about the right chamicals? or about suitable weight? i think both are necessary! and anachronism, i want try this mathod on mobile boards without removing chips and pins from them! and i am assure it can be done! but the problem is ' there will be alot copper that will take more nitric , can i oxidise it to get final metal piece!? i will show you all my process as i start it! thanks everyone for response!

It's not a process I'd plan to use to use on mobile boards or with mlcc's without much study. You'll lose all of the precious metals.

ashir said:

Seems to me you are trying to bypass a few steps and you are going to end up failing.

I will give you an example of what you want to do. These aren't exact numbers per say.

If you have 50Kg of phone you might have 5Kgs on ic chips and capacitors. Why would you want to process 50Kgs when you only need to process 5Kgs. of material?

You have to shred the 50 kgs of boards incinerate that and remove the magnetic material all the while not losing the values through exhaust of the smoke and heat created.

There is a whole lot more to it than collecting and recovering than most people understand.

Depopulate the boards and send or sell the boards to a big refining company. Process the chips yourself if you are interested in doing so.

My opinion on collecting cell phone boards are its better to send the whole phone to a buyer than tearing down a cell phone to remove the board to sell at a higher price. Don't waste your time tearing down phones for the boards. There are better material out there besides cell phones.

Cell phone boards carry a reasonable amount of PM's. There is no need to depopulate boards, and run chips separate...the whole lot can be processed effectively. Cell phone boards are already small enough and thin enough that even pre-shredding is likely not entirely necessary. The boards are pyrolized, incincerated...then milled and smelted. The dore is then processed electrolytically, precious metals captured in the anode slimes which are then roasted, smelted again and processed chemically. Every step just mentioned has plenty of difficulties and steep learning curves. Out of those that post, a search of 4Metals posts provide greatest insight in to pyrometallurgy techniques.

The gold doesn't go up in the smoke or away in the heat with controlled incineration. The scrubber will captures these values. Simply put, this is an industrial operation and we have people on the board that do this successfully at an assortment of scales.

It's been covered previously. My absence of excitement to post this much was because of the location of the poster and the less stringent environmental regulation therein, and a clear indication that they had not done their homework.

And yes, to the original poster. By right flux, I mean the correct chemicals, in the correct proportions, to each other as well as the raw material. Get the proportions wrong and a good amount of your palladium will end up in the slags. Even then, it's not as simple as adding the chemicals and melting. You still have to have good melt technique.

eastky2 said:
ashir said:

Seems to me you are trying to bypass a few steps and you are going to end up failing.

I will give you an example of what you want to do. These aren't exact numbers per say.

If you have 50Kg of phone you might have 5Kgs on ic chips and capacitors. Why would you want to process 50Kgs when you only need to process 5Kgs. of material?

You have to shred the 50 kgs of boards incinerate that and remove the magnetic material all the while not losing the values through exhaust of the smoke and heat created.

There is a whole lot more to it than collecting and recovering than most people understand.

Depopulate the boards and send or sell the boards to a big refining company. Process the chips yourself if you

are interested in doing so.

My opinion on collecting cell phone boards are its better to send the whole phone to a buyer than tearing down a cell phone to remove the board to sell at a higher price. Don't waste your time tearing down phones for the boards. There are better material out there besides cell phones.

This all depends on the cost of labor and living expenses.
If you live in a part of the world where labor is cheap and you can make a good living making $100 a day then what you say makes no sense.
We don’t all have the advantages that we all take for granted in the western world or the costs involved, there are many many poor people out there who will take any chance to become better off and get a better life.

thanks snoman701, you are right, my homework may be still not enough even no one can say He did!! here is really no proper regulations about enviirenment but i am using a scrubber , not very effective but still not enough, i slect a place in hill area with no other living humans. i will show pics. i buy a ball mill. prepare an oil burner. and eastky02 , here wood furnance are cheap and easy to prepare. so i want recover all metals from cellphones.we buy p4 , p3 motherboards after sorting. and we recycle older motherboards as we buy all stuff at same price. we process old phones and sell newer or china made mobiles. nickvc. labour is cheap here and we buy cellphones in 2 cent or 3 cent . thanks every one.

actually my question was if i can do above mention process ? if yes then some must do steps? if no then what process should i practice!

Back