Been working thru this mess

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeinreco

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183081112142?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks for looking

Wow, Ebay prices really are unreal... 70 bucks for ~240g of fingers??! AND there is low yield ENIG pieces mixed in.... How much (little) gold could you possibly hope to recover from that lot? Who keeps buying this??!

-Artūrs

I hope you can post here about how much gold can be recovered with that price.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Trimmed gold fingers are only bringing in $20 per pound at one of the highest paying buyers out there.

A lot of 8 oz. is worth $10, max, without shipping.

rickbb said:
Trimmed gold fingers are only bringing in $20 per pound at one of the highest paying buyers out there.

See, now that seems a little low (actually Boardsort pays 30, just checked :))

If I were to buy some (fingers, not ENIG), I would think end price of about 100 eur/kg looks fair - I would expect to recover about 150 EUR worth of gold from there with current spot price....

So for OP`s lot of 240g it would be about 30 bucks, shipping icluded :)

-Artūrs

But it's gold!
Joke.
He(she) may even get lucky on eBay. I just think adds like that shouldn't be posted here on forum.
Maybe in "Overpriced scrap section"

I don't see a problem with ads like that posted here. It tells a lot about the seller as well as it educates new members here.
It isn't like we would keep quiet about overpriced auctions. 8)

This is my personal opinion, we have never discussed ads like this among the moderators.

Göran

shmandi said:
I just think adds like that shouldn't be posted here on forum

I agree with Göran - as long as there is discussion allowed regarding asking price, there is no problem with threads like this one. It`s hardly a positive advertisement :)

-Artūrs

silversaddle1 said:
Free markets are awesome. You can ask anything you wish, but if buyers won't pay, well, no sale.

Problem is - many newbie would be buyers are cutting corners, not doing their homework and getting hurt - mistakenly assuming that the "asking price" shares some coherence with the actual yield data... I think that should be right up there in beginner section - little bit below safety warnings - in big red block letters - DO NOT TRUST THE PRICE THAT IS BEING ASKED HAVE ANY RELATION WITH ACTUAL YIELD!.....

-Artūrs

Thanks for all the wonderful replies.........Honestly I have no idea of yield or what it's actually worth....Hoping for best offer....Thanks again for all the comments I love this forum!!!

In my humble opinion, as stated in the past by a respected member, as long as the ad describes what is being sold, the asking price could be anything that someone is willing to pay. Trying to protect people from buying items that are not worth the asking price is really not up to us nor is it right for us to dictate that, unless they are our minor children where we are responsible for their well being.

Here on this forum, a person can read about how it is probably not in their best interest to rush into something they don't understand, especially when it comes to buying scrap and refining.

If someone is willing to pay top dollar for something, why is it wrong to sell it to them for the price you want to? If the buyer doesn't know what they are buying, isn't it the buyers responsibility to understand what they are doing? Why doesn't the buyer have to be accountable or responsible? As long as the item(s) that is for sale and is as described, people will pay up to the price they will pay until they won't.

I don't sell on ebay, but have bought some items from there. If I think the item is reasonably priced, I buy, if not, I don't. That seems pretty fair to me.

We could look at the flip side. How some sellers on ebay are able to sell items so cheap, is beyond me. However, I try not to get fooled there either. Just because something is priced low, dosen't mean I should expect quality. We don't go around saying we need to protect people from buying things too cheaply. To me, this would be similar to saying, people shouldn't buy fingers because they are over priced. In both situations you may have paid too much. Maybe you really wanted a quality product or wanted to get rich off of the gold fingers. Maybe the buyer had different intentions for the fingers.

We have a member on this forum who frequently paid more than the pm value of the scrap sold on ebay. It turns out that his intentions were to make excellent videos of him refining the scrap. All I can say, is well done!!

Notice that my opinion above assumes the seller and buyer are not misrepresenting items or being fraudulent.

mikeinreco said:
Thanks for all the wonderful replies.........Honestly I have no idea of yield or what it's actually worth....Hoping for best offer....Thanks again for all the comments I love this forum!!!

no need to be sarcastic, you kind of brought it on yourself - what is more - the nature of your original post is very ambiguous (perhaps you left it so intentionaly, suspecting your offer isn`t fair?) - without checking Ebay username there is no way to tell - either you are the buyer or the seller... So from our perspective you could be unsuspecting forum member that is about to be taken for a ride by dishonorable trader... a situation we must remedy immediately :)

still I apologize if I misread you and your intentions were pure... If I may inquire further:

1) if you had no idea of yield - why are you asking 69 $, how did you arrive at that number?

2) Now that you know the yield (4-4.5g/kg) do you intend to change the asking price?

-Artūrs

My intentions are pure and true there may be a hint of sarcasm in my voice I appreciate the honest feedback.....I deal with thousands of pounds of low to mid grade ewaste each month but just getting into these higher end recovery items.......I am just going by past sold listings on ebay......Thanks again

niks neims said:
mikeinreco said:

no need to be sarcastic, you kind of brought it on yourself - what is more - the nature of your original post is very ambiguous (perhaps you left it so intentionaly, suspecting your offer isn`t fair?) - without checking Ebay username there is no way to tell - either you are the buyer or the seller... So from our perspective you could be unsuspecting forum member that is about to be taken for a ride by dishonorable trader... a situation we must remedy immediately :)

still I apologize if I misread you and your intentions were pure... If I may inquire further:

1) if you had no idea of yield - why are you asking 69 $, how did you arrive at that number?

2) Now that you know the yield (4-4.5g/kg) do you intend to change the asking price?

-Artūrs

Let me address a few things in this post. First off, I don't think the OP was being sarcastic in his reply. I thought he made it clear that he was the seller in one of the post. Second thing, why do you say the seller is dishonest? Who are you to say that? Have you dealt with the seller before? The seller's auction is not misleading in any way. He has good photos, shows the weight, and says he does not know what the yield amounts will be. Seems pretty straight up to me. As for the asking price, what's fair? Just because you buy stuff to refine doesn't mean that's the only way to make money off the scrap. Asking price is just that, asking. He is open to offers in the auction. If it were my auction I'd leave it just like it is and let it ride. I see lots of things sell for stupid money at auction, and I've spent stupid money on some items myself. I need no one to tell me how to spend my money at a auction. If I lose, I lose. If I win, I win. If I really want it, money is of no matter.

I lowered it by $10........Ive been selling boards as is for many years and just trying to determine if this is worth the extra effort to go one step further......I'm not set up to refine anything myself in a safe manner so I don't do that.....If this forum is not to learn then I may be in the wrong place.......Ive been reading thru old posts and have determined for me this is the best way to try to sell my material right now and was just offering it up for anyone interested.......Thanks for replies and I will continue to learn and possibly will refine in future but with young children at home its not my plan to try to use chemicals in my kitchen

mikeinreco said:
I lowered it by $10........Ive been selling boards as is for many years and just trying to determine if this is worth the extra effort to go one step further......I'm not set up to refine anything myself in a safe manner so I don't do that.....If this forum is not to learn then I may be in the wrong place.......Ive been reading thru old posts and have determined for me this is the best way to try to sell my material right now and was just offering it up for anyone interested.......Thanks for replies and I will continue to learn and possibly will refine in future but with young children at home its not my plan to try to use chemicals in my kitchen

I refine nothing myself either and do well. Remember, it cost to refine stuff. I support your auction and I will tell you that that's exactly how I do my own. Research completed items to formulate a price, list it correctly with good photos and description and let it run. Someone may buy it. maybe they wont. But never lower the price. Let them bring the offer to you.

I appreciate your kind words silver........I'm not a rookie by any means when it comes to the scrap metal game........I may be a little naive about what this smaller precious metal stuff is worth but if you give me price list per LB and a pocket full of money I can buy and sell scrap all day long......Thanks again and am very interested in this forum as well as any type of scrap.......I find this forum a wonderful source of info and I learn something new everyday!!!

niks neims said:
rickbb said:

See, now that seems a little low (actually Boardsort pays 30, just checked :))

If I were to buy some (fingers, not ENIG), I would think end price of about 100 eur/kg looks fair - I would expect to recover about 150 EUR worth of gold from there with current spot price....

So for OP`s lot of 240g it would be about 30 bucks, shipping icluded :)

-Artūrs

Call them up and see if they will buy 8 oz of trimmed fingers. See how quickly they hang up the phone.

I have no problem with overpriced listing on eBay. But since it is advertised here on forum and offered to members, my opinion is that price should be fair. On some other forum things are usually offered to members cheaper than advertised elsewhere. Forums are communities of people sharing same interests, some times members become some sort of online friends.
Buy anyways, members here should know what scrap is worth. Only some new member that is not enough educated yet could make mistake assuming that goods advertised on trustful forum have fair price.
But who am I to judge. Respected members are ok with that, so it is ok with me too.

Back