Wondering.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotTheBug

Looking for an opinion or 10.

I've started making a few more contacts to increase my pile of "stuff". One contact I made today was a local puter shop that does a lot of refurbish, hence they have
an ever growing stash of boards, towers, etc.

When I asked what they do with items they can't use, recycling was the obvious answer, and the guy made it clear they do sell for a few bucks.

So, the question is, what to pay for "it".

I was thinking 3 bucks or so for towers, and maybe .50 for boards. So far everything I've come across was in the free price range, so now I'm asking
you guys, what is your opinion of a general price to pay per item?

Yes, I know, the range varies widely depending on what I'm getting, and old white case computers are getting as rare as hens teeth, so lower pm's per tower, etc.

Thoughts?

how can that be answered, we have no idea where you are located (please set your location in your profile)

First goto boardsort.com and see what they pay for stuff.
Remember to add shipping to that as well.

Ask the (com)puter guy how much he gets for what and what do they Not take.
Remember that he will say a higher price so he can get more.

If he says ebay type prices. Ask him where so you can sell your stuff too.
Usually makes him rethink and get defensive as he is bluffing.
Simply tell him you can stop by any time he wants or calls and $$$ can be aggreed upon each time or.

So much per pound of each type of scrap according to boardsort.
I'd start with half what boardsort pays.

Also be sure to tell them you'd take anything and everything off thier hands. Like keyboards, mice, microphones, speakers...etc. everything.
And that will cut down on the amount of trash for them and make thier life easier.

B.S.

The tower metal can add up. But my whole philosophy on this kind of stuff is that if your doing this as a hobby go ahead and pay the $3-5 a pound for MB's or $3 a tower. But if you have a bottom line to hit and want to stay in the black then get that stuff for free or if you do pay for it buy it by the pallet at a good price.

I got nothing but time. I don't have to put food on the table with any gold I'm getting so it doesn't matter really how long it takes me or if I paid a little too much for material.

Perfect guys, and Thank You.

I've had a couple of what I consider decent hauls, and a few mistakes early on. Seeing some of your piles makes me jealous! :)

I'm hoping I get my $37 back from cleanning out a local auction.

9 already stripped desktops/towers. Got about 15 finger cards and 2 memmory sticks. 5 or so MBs and all power supplies. And about 10 ketboards.
Odds n ends as well for "crap scrap" as I call it. Steel, cut wire, copper baring.

Alot of work to get some fingers but it's something.

B.S.

Pantherlikher said:
I'm hoping I get my $37 back from cleanning out a local auction.

9 already stripped desktops/towers. Got about 15 finger cards and 2 memmory sticks. 5 or so MBs and all power supplies. And about 10 ketboards.
Odds n ends as well for "crap scrap" as I call it. Steel, cut wire, copper baring.

Alot of work to get some fingers but it's something.

B.S.

Sorry, but that sounds like a loss.

It's going to be close.
I got alot of wire and a crap load of tape back ups. The tapes have aluminum backing. Just a pain to strip them.
There's also alot of steel. 2 empty old power back ups.

Very close
B.S.

I do not and would not even count steel in any pricing. I don't even look at the pile until it gets over 1000 pounds, as that's pretty much the minimum in my area to make a trip to the "yard" worthwhile.

GotTheBug said:
I do not and would not even count steel in any pricing. I don't even look at the pile until it gets over 1000 pounds, as that's pretty much the minimum in my area to make a trip to the "yard" worthwhile.

don't refuse business, a happy customer is a return customer and have you read my post of last weekend ?

Agree, and I would certainly do a pick up regardless, when I have customers that is. :) Starting now with contacts.

try your local business telephone listing website. i use "canada411.com"

look up computer at first, expand to local free internet ads, call large commercial building property management & organize a "environment day" event
where you drop off large boxes (gaylord, cardboard tote, watermelon box) and the tenants put their old electronics in the boxes, you pick up at the end of the day.

have an event at the local shopping mall, advertise that you will donate 10% net profit to local charities (and really donate) the charity you donate to will be happy to speak of you or may offer to help advertise to all their contacts.

use the search box and look for "My new advertising" lots of good ideas there

just remember that there is more outside the box then there is inside the box, always think like the tree grows.... :D

GotTheBug said:
Looking for an opinion or 10...........

my personal rule, ask to recycle their goods, if they ask for payment offer 20% to 30% of what you get paid for the items, some items don't pay for (mice, keyboards, speakers, empty computer cases and the crap) i ask my customers to remove all extras on their boards & cards (to maximize their profits.)
i also leave containers there for easy storage of the shops scraps.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/68-l-rubbermaid-roughneck-grey/6000016001023 there strong and last a long time & write your phone number and email on the side and top

I'm a "noob" at recovery, haven't tackled refining yet. I just finished the very thing your talking about. Here are my results.

8.82 lbs of finger boards=138.6g fingers. cost after resale of fingerless boards$25.17. Using AP with a bubbler. Time 30hr 45 min, yield .7g unrefined foils.

4.6 lbs memory = 141g fingers. cost $39.79. Using AP with bubbler. Time 23 hrs, yield 1g unrefined foils. (note: I still have the mem chips to process and the copper blanks to sell.

Some one with a lot more experience would do much better I'm sure. As you can see for me it is marginal at best money wise. I had to buy these at board sort type prices. My saving grace is a deal with another contractor for servers on a 50/50 split..

Necro that is perfect! Thank You so much for that, will start implementing tomorrow in fact.

glorycloud said:
GotTheBug said:
Looking for an opinion or 10.

Ha-ha! Someone knows binary code. 8)

Lol....

01101010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01110100 01110100 01101100 01100101

Ok I cheated and used an online translator.

Back