Upfront Cost Ewaste Recycling/Refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrg91720

How much would such a setup cost? Land, building, equipment, inventory of chemicals and fuels?

Hey everyone,

I am looking to finally get into electronics recycling and precious metals refining. I wonder if the forum could offer some wisdom on what a facility would cost. I mean a proper facility with all the right equipment to recycle and refine electronic material properly and efficiently (and hopefully economically!).

How much would the equipment cost, the inventory of fuels and chemicals, the land (I know this is really dependent upon area), and the lab/facility building?

I'm trying to make sure I set aside enough cash to do it right and proper before I begin.

I know it depends on the size of the facility, the products you're targeting, and the feedstock your taking in, but perhaps people can give rough ballpark numbers for various scenarios.

Would really appreciate these insights.

Thanks.

How much would such a setup cost? Land, building, equipment, inventory of chemicals and fuels?

That's a rather open ended question, depending on what you are processing and what level of refining you wish to get into. You can get a container used pretty reasonably and melt with propane reasonably as well, but depending on what you process the other costs vary and the cost of land is something that is determined locally.

You will have trouble getting a realistic answer with the question as asked.

The number is easily in the million(s) of dollars for pilot scale. How many millions depends on actual feedstock, quantities you wish to process and onsite analytic capabilities.

Millions?

I'm talking about the most basic scaled down unit? I've heard you can buy some for $50,000.

Please clarify.

To provide some specificity, let's say you're trying to process smartphone PCBs and produce pure gold, silver, and copper.

For another scenario, let's say you're trying to process lithium ion batteries from smartphones or EVs and produce lithium and cobalt.

Any thoughts on upfront costs?

Okay let's say you're trying to set up a basic facility in the middle of nowhere backwater so minimal environmental regulations.

You're trying process smartphone printed circut boards and recover pure gold, silver, and copper. How much would the equipment cost for a basic setup?

Another situation: processing lithium ion batteries from smartphones and EVs to produce pure lithium and cobalt. How much would the equipment cost for a basic setup?

My advice would be to abandon your quest.

The quickest way to fail at an endeavor is to enter into it without any knowledge of how to go about it.

Your choice of material is at the low end of the scale.

You've been a member for nearly a year, but it seems as though you haven't spent your time studying. Sorry if that's too harsh, but what you're proposing is not logical.

Dave

I've combined your two posts and the responses you've received into this thread since they are the same issue

You would probably be best served to concentrate on collecting ewaste and reselling it. Be a middle man and you more than likely will make much more money. Not to mention the learning curve is much easier to sell ewaste versus refining it. There is also the safety, ecological, and legal matters to consider.
This is just my opinion based on my experiences. My little operation has changed from a mostly refining operation to a mostly selling operation and I am much happier for it. I spend far less time per dollar of income now that I am not spending the enormous amount of time it takes to refine.
For you to delve into refining like the big boys do would require a tremedous investment of time and money. Ewaste refining is not the same as jewelry refining. Ewaste refining requires vast quantities of stock material where jewelry refining requires much less. Unfortunately it is much easier to find ewaste than it is to find jewelry scrap. Ewaste scrap is often free, jewelry is never free.
Ewaste refining is a really fun hobby, but very difficult to make a living at. That being said many people make a living collecting and selling ewaste.
Just my two cents,
Dennis

nrg91720 said:
Okay let's say you're trying to set up a basic facility in the middle of nowhere backwater so minimal environmental regulations.

All of the environmental regulations that you'll have to deal with are federal regulations. You are still in the millions of dollars range.

The one thing you don't really know is what you will be taking in as e-waste. Will it be whole computers, or telecom scrap or whatever? Do you have a specific type of material and reason to believe that you can generate X number of pounds of material per week?

E-scrap refining has many tentacles and you need to determine which ones you are going for before you invest. First you need space. If your quest involves whole units of electronics, tables with electric screwdrivers hanging on a retractor above the table will speed the operation. Not one or 2 screwdrivers, but a collection of powered drivers with the most used bits installed. I see these tables with 10 to 20 drivers hanging for each worker disassembling. This takes space. It also gives you the ability to separate batteries, plastic, metal (all types of base metals), and circuitry which is where the PM's live. Some guys save and sell the screws too. Everything is worth something to someone who needs it.

With an investment in disassembly you can wade in slowly and sell off the steel, aluminum, batteries and plastic to cover your acquisition costs for the scrap. All the while stockpiling the circuit boards which you sort and either hang on to or ship to one of many facilities that take in boards sorted by the ton.

If you can realistically collect enough circuit boards in a timely manner processing pays but the how you do it depends on quantity. And the thought of setting up in the middle of nowhere will have any profits eaten by trucking. You need to be where the material is generated in order to get enough material to keep you working. Maybe you have a father who is in the trucking business and you will get delivery cheap, but otherwise you need to be right in the mix and deal with the environmental intelligently.

So figure out what you are getting, and wade in slowly, letting the business pay for and justify the cost of expansion while the business also defines the direction for expansion.

There isn't one fairy tale refinery setup to handle it all, it is truly feed specific. Although there are many salesmen who would love to sell you a package and rid you of your cash budget in one felled swoop.

Youre best off learning everything you can about the entire process, from end of life materials and wastes, through the entire recycling,processing refining and end products going back into industry,
And trying to find a gap in the market in your area of expertise you can work for/between employers maybe on a commision rather than a wage?

I recently went to see one of my old employers who switched business to waste from just scrap metals, asked about a position.. basically if i can come up with a way what makes them better money by regrading and reselling what they get than they currently do, ive a job. They get 14 ton per hour through the gate, its a volume business rather than sorting every scrap out.

So id get access to the shredder and heavy duty crushing, baling and cutting equipment, i dont need all the licensing whats 50k+ as theyve got all the certifications needed.

Plus access to a lot of waste. Theyre taking on contract all the waste from 2 district councils, that alone is huge.

Still, it doesnt mean il be successful. Im hoping i have time between loads to cherry pick and upgrade certain loads going out to toll refineries. The better grades attract more particular buyers and higher prices too. And maybe refine some high grade material at the firm myself.
When i saw the toll charges, wow they work to a big margin on mixed grade materials, even high grade suprised me, i think its pretty doable.

Try find a gap in the market rather than trying to create your own market. Its to easy to get shut out or down by competitors.
The gap youll find from your own knowledge

Back