Wanting to sell my placered black sand

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarthaCat

I would like to know if there is a processor that I could sell my black sand concentrates to. Has anyone found an honest person who will buy and process black sand concentrates?
Thanks

There may be someone here that can help you, but you have to be a little more detailed in what you have. Do you have visible gold in your black sands, or do you simply suspect it to be so? I do a bit of placer mining myself and have had days when I recovered many many pounds of black sands with no visible gold to be found. I have also had days when gold was easily visible in the sluice. Most people I know who would be interested would at least ask those questions.

Additionally, if you have no takers here, you might want to try any of the several dozen prospecting or mining forums that can be found with a little work.

If I can find the website I had bookmarked, there is a person that buys the black sands. The last time I checked, he was paying $0.25 per lb. I'll see if I can find that info. Also, the sands must be completely dry.

Kevin

That might be the craigslist ad in Reno. Last I looked he was paying $0.25 per pound. Search craigslist in Reno. Use the terms "magnetite" or "black sands".

Thank you all for your replies.
The black sand is from the Arkansas River over near Salida, Colorado. There is visible gold but it is in very small pieces.
I checked ebay and several people are selling black sand on there for about $10/lb. Since I do have visible gold, I might try selling it on ebay.

There may be an emerging market for the magnetite portion of black sands. As concerns over rising petroleum prices and greenhouse gases grow, the popularity of small scale synthetic gasoline and diesel plants using coal, wood waste, plastics, municipal wastes, natural gas and biomass as raw feedstock for this process is growing exponentially. Most of these processes involve first gasifying the raw feedstock, through pyrolysis, into a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen. This is then fed into a catalytic chamber under varying pressures and temperatures. Depending on the pressure, temperature and type of catalytic material used, a variety of hydrocarbons ranging from kerosene to gasoline can be produced, at costs that are more than competitive with hydrocarbons refined from petroleum.

Interestingly, I have read several papers on the production of synthetic gasoline stating that magnetite was the catalyst of choice in a process known as the Fischer-Tropsch Process. This process was used effectively by Adolf Hitler in World War II, and it is estimated that 85% of the Luftwaffe was fuelled by high quality aviation gasoline derived from coal.

What is your general location?
How much black sand's do you have?
What size is the sands, have you sieved them?
Any pictures, preferably magnified?
Is this an ongoing or one time thing?
What kind of processing have you already run it through?
Have you had an assay run?
Are you close to a postal service as a medium flat rate USPS box holds 30-40 lbs. of sands and ships for around $15 I think.
Have a great day.

Hello,
We are working with a refinery in the U.S. that can process gold from black sands. Please contact me.

Hello MarthaCat, I am looking to buy gold bearing black sand. at $25.00-$30.00 for 30 pounds at a time. Looking for 30-100 pounds at a time. i live at Baudette, Minnesota, U S A . Looking for gold bearing black sand that has not been worked at before. Awaitng your reply. bmarvel i check my e-mails & post every day.

For all you black sand processors out there, I can get you 10 ton truck loads for very little money, you pay the freight. Most assays in the 1 Troy oz. per ton range. Central Colorado location. It has been tabled, so most of the VG is gone. I have contacts at most of the placer mines here with Magnetite sitting in fabric totes. You can't process on their site, so you will need to be set up nearby to make some money.

Hello MarthaCat, I am looking to buy gold bearing black sand. at $25.00-$30.00 for 30 pounds at a time. Looking for 30-100 pounds at a time. i live at Baudette, Minnesota, U S A . Looking for gold bearing black sand that has not been worked at before. Awaitng your reply. bmarvel i check my e-mails & post every day.
MarthaCat has not visited the forum in over nine years.

Time for more coffee.

I see this posting has nothing for a year.
Wondering if anyone has a good answer to process black sand quickly or fairly quick onsite.
I found a couple sort of beaches of black sand on sides of a river here in Idaho 10 or more years ago. I still visit this spot once in a while.
Panned several pan loads and there is much flour gold and lower you go you get larger pieces.
However I never figured out the proper process to use.
I had a dredge but black sand fills riffles too fast, improper tool for job.
Blue bowl will be too slow to acquire a reasonable amount.
I'm thinking manual manned bucket loads have to be proccessed.
Any ideas on a setup to process some minor tonnage sands/black sands manually?

I see this posting has nothing for a year.
Wondering if anyone has a good answer to process black sand quickly or fairly quick onsite.
I found a couple sort of beaches of black sand on sides of a river here in Idaho 10 or more years ago. I still visit this spot once in a while.
Panned several pan loads and there is much flour gold and lower you go you get larger pieces.
However I never figured out the proper process to use.
I had a dredge but black sand fills riffles too fast, improper tool for job.
Blue bowl will be too slow to acquire a reasonable amount.
I'm thinking manual manned bucket loads have to be proccessed.
Any ideas on a setup to process some minor tonnage sands/black sands manually?
Bowls have been making a comeback, as knowledge is accepted for the technology. Almost as good as Mercury in a batch mill, without the Mercury. Production can be an issue, but multiple units can be acquired as necessary. Prices are high, per unit, but have seen them drop considerably over the last 40 years. Fine classification will aid any system. If a small portable system was built with a weekend hobbyist in mind, the smart prospector would get one of these, over any sluice/highbanker out there. Mind you, this for use in areas known for high concentration of fine, hard to catch Au, no nuggets.

Bowls have been making a comeback, as knowledge is accepted for the technology. Almost as good as Mercury in a batch mill, without the Mercury. Production can be an issue, but multiple units can be acquired as necessary. Prices are high, per unit, but have seen them drop considerably over the last 40 years. Fine classification will aid any system. If a small portable system was built with a weekend hobbyist in mind, the smart prospector would get one of these, over any sluice/highbanker out there. Mind you, this for use in areas known for high concentration of fine, hard to catch Au, no nuggets.
Just a question. Assume we have barrels and barrels of black sands, classified, gold bearing... Could it be cyanide-leached ? Like regular ore processing, but with cons instead of milled ore. As I do not see any obvious problem with it, I do not tried it personally and you just cannot think about everything :)

Or better, some version of thiosulfate or thiourea leach... I am just curious, and I know that you have good knowledge about mining and stuff... Did you stumbled across something like this ? :)

Just a question. Assume we have barrels and barrels of black sands, classified, gold bearing... Could it be cyanide-leached ? Like regular ore processing, but with cons instead of milled ore. As I do not see any obvious problem with it, I do not tried it personally and you just cannot think about everything :)

Or better, some version of thiosulfate or thiourea leach... I am just curious, and I know that you have good knowledge about mining and stuff... Did you stumbled across something like this ? :)
I’m curious, do the black sands present a danger of cementing the values?
If so, maybe smelting is a solution?

And how about something like the HypoChloride leaches Deano has showed?

I’m curious, do the black sands present a danger of cementing the values?
If so, maybe smelting is a solution?

And how about something like the HypoChloride leaches Deano has showed?
I do not think there is significant danger of cementation (but this is just assumption). But with cyanide there is a risk of iron compromising the cyanide (and black sands are full of iron oxides/hydroxides and stuff). And I can be completely wrong :D

Cyanide is more tempting as it will deal better with native gold alloys with higher silver content, as silver dissolve in cyanide well, opposed to silver in chloride solutions.

This topic is still of great interest to me. Is there a well known comprehensive approach to getting that flour gold out of whatever fine stuff it's stuck in?
i have lots of golden clay, and lots of luminous dust coating rocks which are of a great variety, but many look like magnetite...black, red when heated.
The question is- where shall I look for the best way to get very fine gold out of clay, sand and rock crusts? (fine=small particle size even microscopic and very fine=above 96.9 pure possibly, that's the typical average for placer gold around here.)
I am at the northern tip of the motherlode in California, just 20 miles north of Nevada County, in Butte and Yuba counties in California.
Any direction is greatly appreciated!
I can upload pictures but I don't have a microscopic lens.
I love this forum and I love you guys!

Sincerely,
Dia Lortz
motherlode gold prospector

Back