Question on zinc powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyndham

I know most here try to drive precious metals from many sources but ....
I use zinc oxide in my pottery glazes( which cost over $3/lb) and I have come across some zinc metal powder that was used as an ingredient for Navy Ship Gray paint. If I were in need of a great gold cementing agent, I'd have all I need.
I saw recently on the reactive list of elements on Steve's page that Zinc metal can react with hot water to make zinc oxide.
Not being a chemist but thinking about what might be the reaction, it seems that Hydrogen would be released in this reaction.
Several questions, is this correct for the reaction with zinc powder and hot water. If this is the reaction, would working outdoors be a safe ventilation and how violent can this reaction be.
Is there a better home method to produce zinc oxide from zinc powder?
Recyclers aren't interested in small amts and shipping would be a problem as well.
I realize this is a bit different than most issues on this forum, but I think there are better informed folks here than anywhere else
I welcome any thoughts on this. Wyndham

I think you're wasting your time. No matter what form of zinc you have, even powder, any simple method will only oxidize the surface and you'll end up with a little zinc oxide contaminated with a lot of zinc. The industrial method vaporizes the zinc but that would be extremely dangerous without a lot of expensive equipment. There may be some way to dissolve the zinc and form pure zinc oxide, but I don't know what it would be. You probably need a decent purity, particle size, etc., for your glazes. Were it me, I would keep on with the $3/# stuff. It works and you might find that a homebrew substitute doesn't work.

Yea I kinda thought so but about 5 yrs ago I bought 300lb's for next to nothing so I thought it was worth a try asking. Wyndham

Zinc powder with water and constant mixing will eventually
become ZnO, however it needs attention to
prevent over heating! and use of small amounts!

Diluted H2O2 hydrogen peroxide can be used while keep stirring? To increase oxidation of zinc?

Edited to fix typo

Back