Ni-Cd slag

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

All,

Someone contacted me regarding 40 tonnes of slags which contains 12% Ni and 18% Cd and zinc, lead. He was looking for a processing the lot to get Ni and Cadmium. Please advise.

Regards
Kj

first try to find the source of material....Cd is a well known metal to retain radioactivity ....
If is "slag" from mining.....I simply can not guess the electricity needed to process only 40 tons....to be "in operation".....you need at least 50 tons per month....in terms of 2-3 years....to get some profit .....no to mention the big "hole" you have to dig to cover your waste.

P.S.: From my point of view...buy from him,send it to UMICORE......act as a dealer......is the best option.

Johnny309,

Thanks for your advise, I contacted him again, he said the slags are from a smelter furnace, and have been in electrolysis twice, here is the analysis;

Ni 12%
Cd 18%
Zn 20%
Pb 1%
Ag 0.14%

Regards
Kevin

kjavanb123 said:
Johnny309,

Thanks for your advise, I contacted him again, he said the slags are from a smelter furnace, and have been in electrolysis twice, here is the analysis;

Ni 12%
Cd 18%
Zn 20%
Pb 1%
Ag 0.14%

Regards
Kevin
In which form is this slag? Sulphides, oxides, silicates....? Your numbers adds up to 51.14%, the other 48.86% is probably the culprit. If a smelter can't get the 12% Ni or 18% Cd out of it, it is probably in a quite complicated form.

Göran

Best of luck smelting Cadmium. I wouldn't go near it without a proper facility.

Back