Scandium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachboy

Hi Guys

Has anybody refined scandium before.
I am processing old tailings and it seems to be scandium in the fines.
Is there an easy way to tell?

If you can't tell if there is scandium in it, why do you suspect it?

Göran

The particles that we pick up on the miller table seems to be identical to scandium particles.
They also only dissolve in AR when heated, I just do not know how to bring it back as a clean product.

Send in a sample for a chemical assay.

To find something that is hard to dissolve in AR and then suspect scandium is a bit strong. There are a lot of stuff that's hard t dissolve in AR that isn't scandium.

I don't believe it is scandium, that's a rare element and not easily found and almost never by itself. There's only two mines in the world that had primary scandium production (I've visited the one in Norway) and none of them is in use today. Scandium is produced as a byproduct in a few places (three mines).

I've got two specimens of thortveitite in my mineral collection.

Göran

Beachboy said:
The particles that we pick up on the miller table seems to be identical to scandium particles.

That's like saying a piece of aluminum foil most be silver because its silver in color

Kurt

g_axelsson said:
Send in a sample for a chemical assay.

I don't believe it is scandium, that's a rare element and not easily found and almost never by itself.

Göran

Correct on both accounts :!:

Kurt

Back