Phosphor in CRTs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romix

In CRT and plasma TVs on a screen from inside, as part of a red phosphor Yttrium is used. Is it true?
And less then one procent of Europium.

Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor#Cathode_ray_tubes

Göran

I'v got oz of grey phosphor also seen green. CRTs don't have mercury inside, or they do like LCD lamps?

No mercury inside CRT:s. To my knowledge it's only lead in the glass and the phosphor inside to be concerned with.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
No mercury inside CRT:s. To my knowledge it's only lead in the glass and the phosphor inside to be concerned with.

Göran

Hope they don't I smashed a lot of them in my back garden.

Not to worry....... :))
Thorium oxide is the main problem .....is the actual beam sender of electrons .....and is .....radioactive.....for a couple of years.

And not to mention cesium...

Be safe......not greedy.

Thorium is radioactive for quite a long time.... and I understand the concern for radioactivity.

But what is the problem with cesium?

Göran

johnny309 said:
Not to worry....... :))
Thorium oxide is the main problem .....is the actual beam sender of electrons .....and is .....radioactive.....for a couple of years.

And not to mention cesium...

Be safe......not greedy.

Not sure about Thorium oxide, possibly there is. Not tested it yet personally.
Oxide cover on thin strings inside electron gun.

There's a lot of sulphide in phosphor.

g_axelsson said:
Thorium is radioactive for quite a long time.... and I understand the concern for radioactivity.

But what is the problem with cesium?

Göran

The main problem is when the actual sistem(when the tv is working for several years) is sending electrons to the screen(lead and cesium).....is enrich them....and they became radioactive.

Back