Hello, new to forum trying to identify component of PC PS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zscrapster

Hi,
I have tried searching this forum before posting this, and have searched scrap metal forums also, but thought you might be able to help me identify these components that come out of many electronic devices...right now I am tearing down PC power supplies because they are taking too much space in my work area and I am trying to make sure everything winds up in it's proper bin.

I would like to know what exactly this material is that is found inside the copper wound donuts. it is magnetic, but very fragile. even twisting on it with channel locks it will crumble and break apart. any help is greatly appreciated.

20150730_204423[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20150730_204432[1].jpg
    20150730_204432[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 185
ferrite was the closest thing I could find scouring google, but I didn't find any information about its weight or how fragile it is. is there any value to ferrite or should I just throw it in my unsorted scrap steel bin?

The ferrite really has no value, It's just a magnetic ceramic. You may find there is a market for used ferrite cores for hobbyists but you face some fierce competition from Chinese sellers that offer them with free shipping. Remove the copper for scrap prices and toss the core in the scrap metal bin.

Back