Question about Tin/Lead Alloys

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

I have a good amount of solder that is very high in tin. I believe 85%. Unfortunately, it also has iron as well as some zinc in it, at around 3%. This amount of iron/zinc makes it nearly valueless for my purposes.

Is anyone familiar with methods of fluxing out the iron/zinc, so that I'm left with only the tin/cu/sb/pb???

In general, does anyone have any recommendations for readings on cleaning lead/tin alloys? I deal a lot in solders, and would be able to do a lot more if I knew how to clean up the alloys.

There was a method developed once for dealing with tin-led solder and direct electrolysis. I found a couple of articles, check http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22889&p=240305#p240305

Göran

No, it's alloyed in. You can flux it out though.

Extensive research on this finally found that if you flux with a very small quantity of lead chloride, you will force a majority of the tin out of the alloy as dross. The dross can then be refined.

Melt the solder in the pot and add sulphur to it. Mix the sulphur well in the molten solder . Dont heat the pot too much. Skim off the slags and cast the ingots. You would remove mostly all the impurities like copper Iron and zinc. Hope this helps!

gaurav_347 said:
Melt the solder in the pot and add sulphur to it. Mix the sulphur well in the molten solder . Dont heat the pot too much. Skim off the slags and cast the ingots. You would remove mostly all the impurities like copper Iron and zinc. Hope this helps!
does anyone know how well this works and what it helps remove ( or does not ).

Back