monitors , where to sell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markk

Anyone know what to do with monitors and laptop screens ? Around here it is 20 bucks to dump a tv or monitor. I have read where others sell theirs .
I have a few I have not tore apart yet.

Unless they are working monitors that can be reused there really isn't any place to sell them. Little to no PM's in monitors. The PCB may have a few components, but not enough to pay for the trouble to take them apart and depopulate.

I currently have 2 skids of LCD monitors that I have to pay to get rid of due to the fluorescent tubes in them containing mercury.

CRT monitors are like the older TV's = they cost me $20 each to recycle.
Newer LCD's and laptop screens can be sold. I normally get $4 to $5 each
untested (not obviously smashed) when I sell them by the Gaylord container
(a 40x48x36 box that fits on a pallet).

I sell mine also to my board buyer but they DO NOT accept CRT monitors or televisions. For those you need to search. A new company that recycles them is starting up somewhere in Virginia but I have not heard anything else.

Mike

I've been lucky enough to put them out at the street with a "FREE" sign on them and they're always gone in a day or two. I only do one at a time. I don't know if they get picked up by scrappers or someone looking for a monitor, but they've always disappeared. 8)

Dave

anachronism said:
Haha in the UK that's called fly tipping. It's a chargeable offence. :D
Why is it illegal? There are web sites like Freecycle and Craigslist here where people can list things they're giving away. They put the item at the street and list a curb alert saying it's there free for the taking. I've never had to list anything, as the street we used to live on got a fair amount of traffic. Anything with a free sign disappears. Are you not allowed to give things away in the UK?

Dave

Yes you can give things away in the uk, I think he was being funny! If you have them outside your house with a sign saying free to a good home, then that isn't fly tipping, here in the uk people can't be bothered to dispose of properly and just dump rubbish anywhere, usually country lanes, which is bizarre really as refuse tips usually take most stuff including tv's and monitors, but they usually charge for business waste.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Sipi Metals gave me contact info about 7 months ago, to a company that recycles LCD and Plasma screens and said they buy them. Not trying to get anyone excited here. The info is on an older computer that I have but replaced and not really interested in hooking it back up to get that info, you can contact Sipi and ask for the info. Please consider this, I never did business with the company, I made about 5 phone calls to them but never got a return call so be advised.

markk said:
Anyone know what to do with monitors and laptop screens ? Around here it is 20 bucks to dump a tv or monitor. I have read where others sell theirs .
I have a few I have not tore apart yet.

I'm not sure about you're area, but I drop computer monitors off at Staples "after taking out the boards/wires". They won't take actual TVs, but there may be a few "scrappers" in your area that will take flat screens.

I think Boardsort takes laptop screens, but if I remember correctly, they can't be broken.

If you really want too there is probably a pound of copper in each one. I would give them to my scrapping buddy and he would disassemble them. copper a board or two and some light iron. it was pretty good when copper was $4.00 a pound but now it's just a lol of work. he would then break the glass and put it in recycle bins and through out the plastic.

FrugalRefiner said:
pimpneightez said:
he would then break the glass and put it in recycle bins
:shock: That is a horrible practice!

Dave

Is there any chance of a profit, if you would crush the glass to powder and recover the lead? (ball mill) Even a small CRT has a good bit of weight to it.

Scrapyards around here will buy lead "wheel weights etc", but they might not accept powdered lead. You would need to pour bars except the lead fumes would be a bad thing.

Just recover the lead and pour bars for a sulfuric cell 8)

Edit - added

Grelko said:
FrugalRefiner said:
pimpneightez said:
he would then break the glass and put it in recycle bins
:shock: That is a horrible practice!

Dave

Is there any chance of a profit, if you would crush the glass to powder and recover the lead? (ball mill) Even a small CRT has a good bit of weight to it.

Scrapyards around here will buy lead "wheel weights etc", but they might not accept powdered lead. You would need to pour bars except the lead fumes would be a bad thing.

Just recover the lead and pour bars for a sulfuric cell 8)

Edit - added
The lead is in the form of lead oxide and not so easily recovered.

I totally agree with you, Dave, by throwing pieces of CRT:s in with recycled glass the resulting glass becomes contaminated and can't be used for making new bottles, and in some cases not even as a filler in building materials. It is better to just throw it with garbage that ends up on a land fill than with the recycled glass.

The best way is of course to leave it to a collection point where the led glass is properly recycled. One way is to use it as a component in the flux in a lead smelter.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
It is better to just throw it with garbage that ends up on a land fill than with the recycled glass.

Göran

Here in the U. S. it is against the law to throw electronics in the garbage that going to the land fill - that includes the glass from CRTs (whether broken or as whole tubes) one of the reasons "used" is the concern for lead from the tubes (glass) leaching into the water table

Concerning the lead leaching problem - IMO - is "total" B. S. --- Why ?

There are 2 glass parts to a CRT tube - the front panel glass which is the "leaded glass" - & - the rear funnel glass which is NOT leaded glass

The front panel glass is "actual" leaded glass (not lead coated) - in other words leaded glass just like leaded crystal glass used for making things like leaded crystal drinking glasses, punch bowls, etc.

So - the lead in CRT tubes is NOT anymore leachable then the lead in a leaded crystal punch bowl &/or the leaded crystal glass you would drink the punch from

The reason the front panel (of a CRT) is made of "leaded glass" is - (from Wiki) "As a matter of safety, the face is typically made of thick lead glass so as to be highly shatter-resistant and to block most X-ray emissions, particularly if the CRT is used in a consumer product".

So the "lead leaching" problem is a total out right lie - the lead is "tied up" IN the glass

However - & although the lead is NOT really the problem - what is of concern is the phosphors "inside" the tube --- which includes - but not limited to cadmium

The phosphors are a "thin" coating of "dust" on the inside of the panel glass - they are NOT "adhered" to the glass - rather they are attracted to the panel glass with an electrical charge & then held there when the tube is vacuum sealed

So what happens - is when the tube is broken & the vacuum released - the phosphors - as a dust are also released --- so the real risk is the phosphor dust which includes cadmium which you can end up breathing (when you brake a CRT you release the vacuum - air "rushes" in - thereby "blowing" some of the phosphor out into the air) &/or ending up on the ground which can then leach into the ground water

Soooo - if you are going to brake CRT tubes - it should be down in a hood that has a STRONG "down draft" vacuum that pulls the air born phosphors down to a "good filtered" container & then the phosphors that don't go air born should be vacuumed out into a good filtered canister

That's how the "big boys" do it --- they "cut" the panel glass from the funnel glass - with an automated rotary diamond cutter - in a down draft hood - vacuum out any phosphors that didn't go air born - the front (leaded) panel glass is then crushed & sold as a leaded glass recycle "product" --- the funnel glass is crushed & sold as a non-leaded glass recycle product

Kurt

I think they closed the smelter in Herculenum, MO but Doe run used to recover leaded CRT glass by the 42K tractor trailer load. They were tapping off hundreds of tons of lead every heat.

(was) a great place to see the Parke's process done for the silver content in the lead bullion. All the zinc got shipped off to people that distilled the zinc.

Leaded glass DO leach! At least according to a number of reports and online websites.
http://scotchaddict.com/are-leaded-crystal-decanters-dangerous.html
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/crystal-cristal-eng.php
http://www.academia.edu/4663812/Inhibition_of_Pb-Leaching_from_Lead_Crystal_Glass_by_Coating_with_Films_Prepared_by_the_Sol-Gel_Method

Using crystal glass for a dinner is safe but don't store liquids in lead crystal glass over long times, the led content will increase over time.

Göran

CRT's are under a vacuum (dangers similar to a closed glass vessel under pressure), breaking the CRT can cause an implosion (similar to an explosion) where sharp glass can be thrown everywhere like a bomb.

Do no break the CRT, without relieving the vacuum.

On the back of the tube (where the wires connect, there is a sharp small tit where they used vacuum and sealed the tube, taking a pair of pliers you can nip off the small tit, relieving the vacuum and danger of implosion of the tube.

Capacitors are another source of danger, they can hold a stored electrical charge, these should be shorted out to discharge them holding a screw driver by the insulated handle the capacitors terminals can be shorted together with the metal of the screw driver.

Trust me, the capacitors on the CRT boards DO hold a charge.
We did CRT terminal monitor repairs for a loooong time and
if the techs weren't careful they got "bit" every once in a while. 8)

Simon007 said:
Yes you can give things away in the uk, I think he was being funny! If you have them outside your house with a sign saying free to a good home, then that isn't fly tipping, here in the uk people can't be bothered to dispose of properly and just dump rubbish anywhere, usually country lanes, which is bizarre really as refuse tips usually take most stuff including tv's and monitors, but they usually charge for business waste.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah I was being dry. On a serious note though leaving what is deemed as hazardous waste by the roadside or outside your house, even if you offer for people to take it away for nothing can be followed up and prosecuted for by the councils.

Back