Today find at scrapyard sell or scrap?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archeonist

I stumbled on this vintage Toshiba T3100e/40 laptop. I payed ten euro's for it. Seller didn't know if it would work but I took it. Back home put the powder in and it came back to life :shock: So now I have a 1986 Toshiba laptop I just can't scrap, that would be a shame. So sell as is I guess?

Attachments

• DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 846
  • DSC_0087.JPG
    DSC_0087.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 846
I would say sell, definitely. Last week I read a story in a vintage computing (facebook) group about a guy getting a similar Toshiba up and running. That amber screen is a real classic. Four color levels, black, dark amber, pale amber and bright amber. I did a lot circuit board cad on a T2200 and I had to switch the color of the layers all the time just to highlight the layer I was working on. :D

... oh, the memories...

I have one in my collection of old computers, got it a year ago among some scrap. Some day I'll try to get it running again.

Göran

Didn't spot that at first. It's definitely steam powered but if it is powder powered isn't easy to know. :lol:

Göran

I am with Goran, sell it, or keep it for your own collection. Put it in a box, wrap the box in plastic and hide it away. You will come back across it in ten years and think, I wonder if it still works?

Mike

They sell on ebay anything in range of 80-300$. Keep it to sell later or sell now, not worth to scrap.

It's amazing how things have altered in price. When I started my IT company in 1997 I was paying $640 each for black fibre Pentium MMX 200 processors and over $200 each for 4Mb EDO RAM modules.

Geo said:
One megabyte of ram was huge.

I remember mu first MB of RAM, I had to put in each individual chip, 9 per bank. Filled up an entire full length card slot.

And then IBM DOS did not recognize it, had to load LIM drivers and even then only a handful of software packages would use it. Cost more than then PC did. lol

Guess I just told how old I am. :lol:

I have a Kaypro - 2 in storage. Still turns on (amazingly), though pretty hard to find the 5.25" floppies or the software to run it.

Shaul said:
I have a Kaypro - 2 in storage. Still turns on (amazingly), though pretty hard to find the 5.25" floppies or the software to run it.
Hard but not impossible...
http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/

For anything classic computer related I recommend this forum
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum.php

Nice machine, keep it safe. :D

Göran

4metals said:
I still have an Osborne 1 and an Osborne Executive in the attic. CPM and dual floppies! And I thought they were so portable.

Hope you enjoy this - it's a true story.

Years ago, just about the time Steve was signing Macs and making them "Limited Edition" Macs, I was working with Lee Felsenstein, in Emeryville, CA.

Lee had done the design engineering for the video side of the Osborn (among a large array of other projects).

One day, a man stopped by to pick up an Osborn that Lee had agreed to repair. As the man was about to leave with his computer, Lee yelled "WAIT A MINUIT!" and ran back to his drawing board. He returned with a black sharpie marker and signed the Osborn. Then he said "There! Now you've got a 'Limited Edition' Osborn!" :D

Shaul said:

Check with digibarn ("http://www.digibarn.com/") - they may have something they can copy for you.

rickbb said:
Geo said:
One megabyte of ram was huge.

I remember mu first MB of RAM, I had to put in each individual chip, 9 per bank. Filled up an entire full length card slot.

And then IBM DOS did not recognize it, had to load LIM drivers and even then only a handful of software packages would use it. Cost more than then PC did. lol

Guess I just told how old I am. :lol:

When I got my first computer, IBM DOS didn't yet exist - and my second RAM board (at all of 64K of memory) was considered "huge".

I still dress like a hacker: http://catb.org/jargon/html/dress.html

Back