Landfills

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manjelle

You can look but you cant touch. The rule at most landfills is that there is no salvaging. But if you talk to the operators they can tell you where loads of electronics that are dumped came from. Then you call those buisnesses and see if they will let you come get it instead of paying someone to dump it. Most of the time the answer is yes. This was on the ground today when i went dump trash. I hope i have a new source soon

Attachments

• 20180104_113120.jpg
    20180104_113120.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 889
Our local landfill would not have allowed this to begin with. And if it did happen, they sure would have worked a deal to remove them.

Ditto Silver. At our landfills only things like green waste, asphalt shingles, and other non-recyclable things are allowed. There are guys just standing around to make sure no paint, fluorescent tubes, ewaste, appliances etc are dumped there. We have 'transfer stations', which are indoor places where consumers can take their rubbish, and these places also have guys standing around to make sure that banned items do not go into the pile- they are pulled aside for recycle.
I guess Louisiana has not adopted an earth first policy yet.
About 10-15 years ago the state (California) passed a law that required landfills to reduce their input by 50% by the end of that year. They accomplished this by setting aside green waste, paper, ewaste, appliances, mattresses, and many other things. Going to the dump sure isn't the same as when my dad I used to go there and throw out paint, car batteries, all sorts of metallic things, among countless other recyclable stuff. My, how times have changed.

We must not be up to speed, the guys say they see this all the time. They do reject paint unless it's dry,flouresnt bulbs and computer monitor and tires. But there isn't any transfer trucks at these landfills so it's just too many loads for them to keep up with I guess. But I did call the company that paid to have them dumped, they told me I could expect to get enough to fill my 6x18 trailer every month. Servers, computers led sights etc. so I'm stoked.

"Out there is a fortune, just waiting to be had,
You think I'll let it go, you're mad,
You got another thing coming".

Judas Priest 1980's!

Really, great example of using your eyes and head to find the treasure. X-Ring!!

Manjelle- that's awesome! Glad to see you are reaping the benefits bigtime, and keeping it out of the landfills too! Wait, maybe I spoke too soon, will you be able to sell/gid rid of all the spoils of tearing this stuff down or will it just end up in the landfill anyway. :D Here, I can take my plastics, low grade boards, etc to another recycler who then ships it somewhere else to, supposedly anyway, get further recycled in an eco friendly way. After some of the stuff I've seen on TV and youtube I am dubious as to whether that happens, eco friendly speaking.
That will be a nice account for you to have. Great find.

edited to add content....

The operator said he was going to talk to the manager because he said they shouldn't have let the load in. So hopefully I will be able to get that load as well

denim said:
Manjelle- that's awesome! Glad to see you are reaping the benefits bigtime, and keeping it out of the landfills too! Wait, maybe I spoke too soon, will you be able to sell/gid rid of all the spoils of tearing this stuff down or will it just end up in the landfill anyway. :D Here, I can take my plastics, low grade boards, etc to another recycler who then ships it somewhere else to, supposedly anyway, get further recycled in an eco friendly way. After some of the stuff I've seen on TV and youtube I am dubious as to whether that happens, eco friendly speaking.
That will be a nice account for you to have. Great find.

edited to add content....
I bring the plastics to the landfill. I break everything all the way down. I trim the fingers off everything, depopulate the ic's and slot inserts for the pins, stack the CPUs for later. Get the boards from the cd roms and hard drives, take the platters and stack them. Sell the aluminum and the metal to the scrap yard. And sell of all the boards nothing goes to waste except the plasticswhat do you do with the platters, I have quite a bit of them but don't know what to do with them

Your local scrap yard may take the computer ABS as well, ask them. Even if they don't want to pay for it, it's better than the alternative.

There is zero market here in the midwest for plastics. And the ones who will buy it are so anal on color, type sort that it's not worth the time to mess with it. Most goes with the shred as we leave it attached to the steel case if we can. Sometimes the plastic gets stuffed inside the case too. And we do landfill some as well. At one time they were paying 17 cents a pound around here.

We work on zero landfill over here Silversaddle. Landfill is taxed annually so the processes are somewhat tighter. We've got the UK version of R2 certification so everything is monitored as well but in the end it works out fine. For plastics we granulate down so that 10 skids of case plastics go into two bulk bags (or 1 skid) and we get £40 per tonne collected for the mixed plastics.

anachronism said:
We work on zero landfill over here Silversaddle. Landfill is taxed annually so the processes are somewhat tighter. We've got the UK version of R2 certification so everything is monitored as well but in the end it works out fine. For plastics we granulate down so that 10 skids of case plastics go into two bulk bags (or 1 skid) and we get £40 per tonne collected for the mixed plastics.

What is your maximum metal content % of you shred plastic?

Ok, this is a good thread. How would you get rid of a constant line of copy machines? The plastic percentage is too high, so the yards won't take it as shred. Meanwhile, the plastics are too time consuming to strip, and offer zero return.

The scrap yard actually had a call from the shredder that said no more...they'd take them for free, but wouldn't pay for them. That part just blows me away, not even enough to cover the trucking.

Our yard has it's own shred line so I just mix printers, scanners, copiers, etc right in with the shred. As long as it's no more than 30% of the load they are fine with it.

Well, don't get a constant line of copying machines in the first place or see to it that if the yard doesn't pay for the machines the previous owner has to pay one way or the other.

I had a similar deal last summer, a couple of car loads of computers and copying machines. I told them I could either pay for the computers or take the whole lot for free.
I got the whole lot for free, they were happy to just get the problem out of the way.

For me I can find buyers for everything but the plastics, that goes in the trash as I don't produce too much of it as long as I keep it on a hobby basis. Here we don't have any traditional landfills any longer, any burnable goes into the local power plant and produces electric power as well as heat to keep the town warm in the winter. The only thing ending up on the landfill today is concrete, bricks, glass, ash from the power plant and so on. Citizens can leave their sorted trash in special collection centers and electronics are shipped off to recycling plant. Companies on the other hand have to pay to get electronics recycled so there I'm a quite good alternative. At the moment I'm doing the recycling of electronics for three companies, the offer is quite simple, I take everything and I'm doing it for free as long as they doesn't cherry-pick any scrap and sell themselves. It works quite well, half of the scrap is pure cable scrap, just give it a quick sort through to save any gold connectors or cables I can sell, then a short drive to the yard.

Göran

silversaddle1 said:
What is your maximum metal content % of you shred plastic?

That's a great question. I don't know the answer because we've never been pulled on it!

Update: recieved permission to remove electronics from landfill. Had to get a permission waiver from the company that threw them out. Came out with 212 towers bunch of finger cards still in new packaging. About 50 surveillance bases with harddrives all towers had fingerboards,ram and cpus. All hardrives were removed

Attachments

• 20180108_194654.jpg
    20180108_194654.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 657
  • 20180108_194620.jpg
    20180108_194620.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 657
  • 20180108_194556.jpg
    20180108_194556.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 657
  • 20180108_195932.jpg
    20180108_195932.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 657
Wow!!! You couldn't pay me enough to Walk in an American landfill without iron clad feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manjelle

That's a great piece of initiative and a great haul. Run with the idea and see if you can build up a relationship and make it an ongoing deal.

Brilliant work

Jon

Back