Where to Find Scrap - Alberta

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerHuntsman

Hi Everyone,

I noticed it's been a while since this topic was posted in so I thought I would ask a refresher question for my locale. Does anyone know where I could start looking to find scrap gold in Southern Alberta? I didn't see a sticky post and my searches came up limited.

Thanks!

It is where you find it. And you have to keep your eyes and ears open.

Asking here won't get you any answers from people in your area, because they would be getting it themselves.

jimdoc said:

Asking here won't get you any answers from people in your area, because they would be getting it themselves.

This is the truth and much as it hurts to say so you have to look and search very hard to find decent volumes.

There are some threads in this section about finding scrap. I doubt any of them are about Alberta, but they have a lot of good ideas about where to look and what to look for. It's become a competitive business, so as Jim said, if anyone knew where to look in Alberta, they would be grabbing it.

If you hope to make money, you'll need to deal in mass quantities of scrap. If you just want to end up with a bit of gold, let local companies know you'll haul off their old computers for free.

I don't deal with much ewaste, so I can't really give you much more general advice, but as Jim said, "It is where you find it. And you have to keep your eyes and ears open."

Dave

jimdoc said:

Rightly said, probably nobody will help!! Got to find it ourselves. Being a beginner, I will try to stick to the forum to learn new stuff and take action.

As others have mentioned, you'll have to look around yourself to find the best supplies. About the only thing I know about finding, or in this case not finding, is that electronic scrap is more or less non-existent in Alberta. Because of the province's recycling program that subsidizes not only those who recycle electronics but also those who accumulate them as well as the hauling/shipping costs, most if not all large e-scrap generators (school boards, various levels of govts., corporations) deal directly with approved recyclers in the govt. program. That's not to say there's nothing left, but it is difficult to find in any meaningful quantities.

That still leaves all the other areas of precious metals scrap for you to do some hunting in.

Back