How much should I pay ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not much. I get $5-10 each to remove computers from schools, ect. The only gold I buy from ebay is bullion, and i won't ebay more then $10/GRAM. there are soo many sources out ther where you don't need to buy it, unless ur getting very high grade scrap. Start a recycling business, advertise a little, and people or organizations will give you their scrap.

Ok thanks for the info. But people won't give me their scrap for free ! If I don't give them money, they forget me and they never call back. I ask someone to keep CPU's for me and he got 50 after 3 months but he get rid of them just before I call him back...

It all depends on the scrap.

It takes 16 pounds of slot 1 cpus (no housing, fan, or heat sinks) to get 1 pound of clean fingers, these yield 3-4 grams of gold per pound of fingers.

Pentium cpus a max of $1 each

486 cpus a max of $3 each

I won't pay more than $2 per pound of gold edged memory

I keep a chart of weights to let me know how much of a yield I can expect from each type of scrap. It's an Excel spreadsheet.

Low grade pins yield about 1/4 to 1/2 gram per pound
Midgrade pins yield about 1 gram per pound
High Grade Pins yield less than grams per pound
Extra High grade pins yield up to 3 grams per pound

Steve

Most of the info in it is summarized above. Let me find it on my old pc and I'll see what I can do for the forum. There is a little more info in it about pc cards I think.

Steve

I'm not lucky... I just called a computer recycling compagny and the guy told me someone was already buying CPU's and cards from him. (Someone from Montreal) Once a month, someone from montral comes to take them. For one Canadian dollar each. :cry:
I hate that because last year, I asked the recycling compagny to keep them for me but they sold everything they had kept...

Hey Noxx,
Like some are saying-you really shouldn't have to pay for electronic scrap. I have people paying me to get rid of theirs. I'll make 100 dollars for loading up 14 computers on Monday.

Patience is the key. Start letting friends know what you are doing. Craigs list is is an option as well---but you need to be able to jump when folks call. There is also another website that might be available in your area called freecycle.org

I would like to know if there is precious metals to recover in old hard drives of 1.2Gb. I know someone who have a box of them.
Thanks

Noxx,

I know the headers are gold plated, I'll crack one open and check the platters on a few and get back with you. Those may be too old to have the Pt coating.

I'll posts some pix.

Steve

Noxx,

As you can see from the first one I popped open... Yes they appear to be the Pt ones. Two platters each.

Steve

Attachments

• Drives1.jpg
    Drives1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,255
  • Drives2.jpg
    Drives2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,255
  • Drives3.jpg
    Drives3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,255
I would offer to haul them off at no charge first. If the seller wants cash I wouldn't give a dime for defective ones and no more than a 20 cents for one working drive or $1 for 5 drives maximum. They are nearly worthless as a storage device now a days.

I don't know how much Pt to expect from one drive. But it can't be much. It's roughly worth 4 cents per milligram at todays prices. At twenty cents each the one drive would need to yield 5 mg for you to get your money back without any labor, shipping, or chemical costs considered.

Steve

Back