How do you store your chemicals?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragum

I could just ask for a generic answer, but I would like to know how most of you maintain your chemical inventory?

Do you:
- Keep in enclosed?
- Well ventilated?
- Do you make any special markings on them?

I am a best-practices kind of guy and with kids and pets in the house, I would prefer not to learn any lessons the hard way.

Thanks in advance.

All my chemicals are tightly closed in a garage.
NEVER close tightly any containers containing Aqua Regia.

I keep my chemicals in a locked cabinet in a locked room.

The room is climate controlled.

All the containers are properly labelled and stored.

Don't leave your chemicals out where kids and pets can get near them.

The refining area should be off limits to anyone unless you are present and even then access should be limited a few individuals and to very short visits.

Chemical hazards are very real and kids and pets don't comprehend the associated dangers. The curiosity of children (and cats) makes them especially susceptible to accidents.

Colored liquids and powders tend to make children think of fruit flavored drinks and candies and that's a very bad thing when the items are acids and/or poinsonous.

Steve

I store my chemicals in original bottles in a small room next to the living room. But they are everywhere (on the floor, on the tables, on the chairs...). My lab is a very untidy place with lot of chemicals spilled on the floor. The concrete floor has many many nice colors on it :D I have some dangerous chemicals (benzene, aniline, tetrachloromethane, potassium dichromate and some I can't remember now) that shouldn't be in some bottles on the floor. But I am to lazy to organize the place :(

14 year old Sliver said:
I store my chemicals in original bottles in a small room next to the living room. But they are everywhere (on the floor, on the tables, on the chairs...). My lab is a very untidy place with lot of chemicals spilled on the floor. The concrete floor has many many nice colors on it I have some dangerous chemicals (benzene, aniline, tetrachloromethane, potassium dichromate and some I can't remember now) that shouldn't be in some bottles on the floor. But I am to lazy to organize the place

Self said:
Don't leave your chemicals out where kids and pets can get near them.

The refining area should be off limits to anyone unless you are present and even then access should be limited a few individuals and to very short visits.

Chemical hazards are very real and kids and pets don't comprehend the associated dangers. The curiosity of children (and cats) makes them especially susceptible to accidents.

Colored liquids and powders tend to make children think of fruit flavored drinks and candies and that's a very bad thing when the items are acids and/or poisonous.

Need I say more. :?: :roll:

Steve

aflacglobal said:
Give the kid a break. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's why there are minimum ages for purchasing, using and having access to dangerous materials. No matter how smart someone is, it takes experience and behaving like an adult.

Just giving a minor advice on doing something dangeous can land you in a lot of trouble, even if there are no negative consequences.

Some sites have age minimums for a good reason.

Like the Amish say:

Too soon old, too late smart.

That's why there are minimum ages for purchasing, using and having access to dangerous materials. No matter how smart someone is, it takes experience and behaving like an adult.

I agree 100 %. But we all have to learn sometime and somewhere.
He already has the chemicals so all we can hope to do is teach him the proper safety. He seems like a real smart kid. I would hate to see him hurt over something simple and stupid. Let's give him a chance and see what he may know.

Which is a good point. How did you get all them chemicals Silver ?
Your dad, what type of work does he do ? I know you had to get intrested in chemistry somehow. :wink:

aflacglobal said:
Which is a good point. How did you get all them chemicals Silver ?
Your dad, what type of work does he do ? I know you had to get intrested in chemistry somehow. :wink:

I got the chemicals from school. The teacher gave them to me and my friend who is also interested in chemistry. We even got picric acid from school. :D About my dad I don't know. My parents are divorced for a long time. I live with my mom.

Silver said:
I store my chemicals in original bottles in a small room next to the living room. But they are everywhere (on the floor, on the tables, on the chairs...). My lab is a very untidy place with lot of chemicals spilled on the floor. The concrete floor has many many nice colors on it :D I have some dangerous chemicals (benzene, aniline, tetrachloromethane, potassium dichromate and some I can't remember now) that shouldn't be in some bottles on the floor. But I am to lazy to organize the place :(

CLEAN IT UP !! :evil:

Hey silver, do yourself and your family a favor and store them properly.

Safe storage is very easy if you understand a few basic rules.

Number one most important rule is to separate oxidizing agents and reducing agents. If you know what an oxidizer and a reducer is this is very simple.
If you store these two incompatible families together, if an accident were to occur you could have a fire or even an explosion.

Keep flammables away from oxidizing agents and store them separate from all else. Metals go with metals, non-oxidizing metal salts (like chlorides, bromides, sulfates) stay with each other, oxidizers like nitrate, persulfate, permanganate, dichromate (high valence, +4 to +7) stay with each other. Also remember to store nitric acid separately from other acids, as it is an oxidizer as well.

If you want real advice, make a list of what all you have, post it here, and we will tell you what to do with them so that you can be safe and avoid any troubles.

Thank you for the advice. Yes I know about the storage of chemicals. We also learned about that in school (one of the rare things that we learned there that has any use in real life). Yes I really should store them properly. And about chemicals that can go BOOM I don't store them. I use them right after I make them.

Silver said:
Thank you for the advice. Yes I know about the storage of chemicals. We also learned about that in school (one of the rare things that we learned there that has any use in real life). Yes I really should store them properly. And about chemicals that can go BOOM I don't store them. I use them right after I make them.

I would notify the authorities that you are a danger to public safety, then I would wup your daddy's ass for letting you play with dangerous chemicals.

Keep cyanides and acids in separate buildings, or, at least, rooms.

I used to keep a jug of a fumey acid in a plastic bucket with the lid snapped down. Also, I kept those white bleach jugs in buckets. They leak and stink.

For drum quantities (more or less) of certain chemicals, most states require a catch vessel, underneath, big enough to catch everything in case the drum leaks out. This could be a berm surrounding the drum(s) or a commercial push cart with a spill reservoir.

Silver or Gold or whatever, I have trouble believing that you are really a very smart 14 year old, and yet an idiot. The two things just don't go together. Too much that doesn't fit. Are you ready to fess up?

goldsilverpro said:
Are you ready to fess up?

I don't know what that means. English is not my first language.

Well it seems that I am not wanted here so I will leave. And I thought I could learn here. Now my will in gold refining is falling. I hope it doesn't completely go away. I must find another source of informations. Can I delete my account?

Well it seems that I am not wanted here so I will leave

Hang around dude. Don't worry about what other people say. Stay and learn anyway. I don't see you as a quitter. Take control of your own destiny. Be strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back