Glove Chemical Resistance

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticColby

I couldn't find it when searching, and I feel this is important as most people think they know otherwise.
Latex and Nitrile gloves are biological barriers, NOT chemical barriers.
That means they are designed to keep bacteria out, not all the chemicals you may be working with.

They do have more protection than bare skin, but all chemicals will have a breakthrough time (time it takes the chemical to soak through the glove)
In particular, Nitric acid and Sulfuric acid soak through these gloves like they were paper towels (If any gets on the glove, it's a matter of minutes before it's on your hand)
They do sell chemical barrier gloves, and those are closer to $3/glove. (They aren't necessarily even reusable, though I'm sure some are)

Most people think of these gloves as an absolute shield. I had an Organic Chemistry lab professor who had us NOT wear gloves because he said it gives people the feeling they are safe from all chemical harm when wearing them, so they are less careful. No one spilled anything in that class.

Personally, I've observed that Nitrile is better than latex for more chemicals (also, my eyes get red if I use latex repeatedly for weeks). I use Nitrile gloves when working with refining chemicals, and take them off immediately if anything hazardous gets on them.

Please just be aware of how good your gloves are for what you're working with. Here is a link to several charts for glove chemical resistances. every company seems to just tests their own gloves, but latex (natural rubber) and nitrile are usually in there as controls:
http://www.ehs.ufl.edu/Lab/CHP/gloves.htm

lazersteve said:
Here's the thread where we discussed this subject in the past:

Gloves

Steve
I've used those from the very beginning, I've got the first pair online but then I've found a local supply. When you buy those, I think it's also great for any type of gloves, blow them up like a balloon to check their integrity, it happens to find them damaged.

Marco

I use Nitrile gloves when working with refining chemicals, and take them off immediately if anything hazardous gets on them.

Even a heavy hazmat suit has a breakthrough time that is defined for some dozens of chemicals. It varies from about 10 seconds to 60 minutes (depending on the chemical) when I once took a look at the manual. Therefore and for the possibility of spreading it is wise and the way it is taught to hazmat teams, to avoid ANY contamination. Not only for the safety, but also to protect the expensive suits. Often we use an extra pair of gloves that can be taken off fast.

I think there are a lot of parallels to what we do here (care for safety and avoid expenses).

Disposable lab grade Nitrile gloves for me . I use water sprayers for all kinds of applications so I spray my gloves down when they get something on them and change them when I go for a smoke of a coffee anyway so I get through quite a few in a day.

They are cheap when bought by the Kg and save me getting discoloured hands 8) 8)

saadat68 said:
cleaning gloves are safe ?
They use for wash dishes for example
As with all gloves, they offer resistance, and they buy you time. Chemicals will eventually permeate the layer.
The less they are exposed to chemicals, they longer they will last.
Treat them as if they were your own hands: Rinse them if they get a splash on them. Don't use them to dive into buckets. (What if they had a tiny leak?)
Replace them at the first sign of wear-through or after any heavy accidental exposure.

You may discard many gloves, but you only have two hands.

Back