What will hold up ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smj

Hi guys and gals, I'v been looking around for dishes to use on my stove top.
I know that Corning ware is the way to go but i see other dishes as well, just wondering if they will hold up the same as corning ware.

The reason i put this topic in the "Safety" section is because I (newbie) might think any dish will work and loose PM's and might even get hurt.
I posted a few pics of different make dishes. Your input will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• JAJ 'Matchmaker' Pyrex Dishes 03.png
    JAJ 'Matchmaker' Pyrex Dishes 03.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 490
  • JAJ 'Matchmaker' Pyrex Dishes 01.png
    JAJ 'Matchmaker' Pyrex Dishes 01.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 490
  • Vintage Ovenware Pyrex Dish with Lid 03.png
    Vintage Ovenware Pyrex Dish with Lid 03.png
    155.3 KB · Views: 490
  • Vintage Ovenware Pyrex Dish with Lid 02.png
    Vintage Ovenware Pyrex Dish with Lid 02.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 490
  • Vintage Ovenware Pyrex Dish with Lid 01.png
    Vintage Ovenware Pyrex Dish with Lid 01.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 490
Corning ware dish.

Attachments

• corning ware dish 02.png
    corning ware dish 02.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 490
  • corning ware dish 01.png
    corning ware dish 01.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 490
I use nothing but pyroceram. I couldn't even tell you about them other dishes or would i dare even try them to find out. I found pyroceram by recommendation here on the forum and i don't believe their is anything out there that is it's equal, period! The dish i'm speaking of is in your bottom post and if you will notice has a "P" desigination in it's number. That stands for Pyroceram. Once you start to look around yard sales, trade days, what have you, you will see them everywhere and for cheap.

i use a corning-ware casserole dish.its been used to incinerate many times and has withstood coil type electric burner heat since i acquired it. i tried anchor hocking before and was extremely unsatisfied with its durability. i was drying gold powder in a loaf dish and moved it from the (medium) heat to a dry paper towel and the thing exploded. not cracked or broke but EXPLODED with much force and sound.the only part left was the bottom and my gold powder. :mrgreen:

Only pyroceram. It is the way to go. Not all corning are pyroceram , they switched glass formula some time ago. Their product was too good. Pyroceram never breaks unless you drop it, the two I use are over 40 years old and perfect.

Thanks guys I will definitely go for the corning ware dish. The only problem is corning ware is not
easy to find locally. This is why I asked about other name brand dishes.
The only other option is to buy via Ebay.

smj said:
Thanks guys I will definitely go for the corning ware dish. The only problem is corning ware is not

Where are you located? I have a few pieces i have been thinkin about selling if you are interested.

its-all-a-lie said:
smj said:

Where are you located? I have a few pieces i have been thinkin about selling if you are interested.
I'm not in the US unfortunately but I was thinking of accumulating a few things and have it sent all at once.

second hand stores are a great place to get pyroceram

salvation army
value village

if you want to test your dish, try this:

put on your safety glasses or face shield
heat dish with your torch
pour in some water

if it shatters its not pyroceram.

its to bad people dont set there location in there profile, i would offer to send you some if you were close enough
i must have 14 of them

The only kitchen type containers that will hold up to direct heat (gas flame or electric hotplate) are Corning Ware pyroceram and Corning Ware Visions. All the others will be guaranteed to break. Here's what the CW Visions look like.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=corning%20ware%20vision&clk_rvr_id=665140901957

I'm building a small furnace for melting silver and i plan on using a pyroceram dish as a catch vessel in case my crucible breaks.
I've tested pyroceram before by heating it until it was red and throwing it into a 5 gallon bucket of water. We shall see how long it will hold up to the furnace.

The amber brown, or violet color Corning Ware Visions, will take stove top heat pretty well, but they can be broken from thermal shock, they do not hold up as well, or ar as tough as the corning pyroceram casserole dish will, these dishes are a very versatile tool for the lab, I also like the shape of the casserole dish better for working out of, they come in a few different sizes.

Pyroceram question-

I see some Corning ware pieces stamped with a P then other numbers on ebay and also some Corning ware pieces that have Pyroceram stamped on the bottoms instead of a P code= Are these the same type and will hold up like the one Palladium uses " P-2 1/2-B" ??

Thanks in advance

GOG

From what i understand about the history is that the earliest pieces where actually marked with the word pyroceram and was the original formula. That formula was changed and the new runs from that date forward was designated with the letter P . Either which one it's the best on the market for the money!

Back