First aid tip

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andremajic

Hello all,

So, being my first post, I thought that you'd be expecting me to post a question about a process, right?

Wrong!

First aid treatment for inhalation of sulfur dioxide:

2% sodium bicarbonate solution mixed with water, sprayed as a mist and inhaled thru the nostrils and can also be breathed thru the mouth into the lungs.

(This is a good reason to own a dedicated medical nebuliser for first aid if you don't own a couple already for aerating your solutions.)
Mix up the solution, pour into the cup, and switch it on. As you know, baking soda neutralizes acid and this would be the best treatment to halt tissue damage of your delicate nasopharynx passages.

Even if you get a whiff of a chemical, you have been exposed to it. The fact that your body has reacted to it, means you've been exposed. Don't wait for a bloody nose to do something about it. You know what acid fumes do when they react with water? Become acids again! Your nasal passages have moisture in them, so if you get a whiff of acid fumes up your nose, you have acid in your nasal passages! Enough said.

Here's the link to the treatment: (Reference page 2)

https://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2007/Long-Term-Health-Effects-of-Participation-in-Project-SHAD-Shipboard-Hazard-and-Defense/SULFURDIOXIDE.pdf

I cringe when I read that people are actually waving their hands over the reaction to get a whiff to see if it's still active.
A simple test to see if your SMB is still active:

Sulfur Dioxide; a byproduct of the SMB reaction, helps prevent fruit from browning from oxidization.

Get an apple and cut two thin slices off. One is your control, and the other is your test piece. Stick a couple toothpicks in the test piece and suspend over your SMB/Dropped gold. Keep the control in a different location. When your control is oxidized/brown, check on your test piece suspended over your solution. If it's still white or whiter than the control, you still have sulfur dioxide coming from your solution.

My apologies if this has already been posted, but a search didn't turn it up.

Andy

I do not know if anyone on this forum is, or ever will be exposed the anything that is radioactive, but here is a valuable link to herbs that could help decrease the damage.

Herbs that decrease radioactive damage

Lemon juice cleans the liver. So do several other natural items. detox your liver naturally

Always consult your Doctor before using any of these, even the lemon juice, as it can affect any medication that you are on.

Be safe!
Respectfully and sincerely,
Aphrodite <3

Back