SMB waste

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMMarine0311

Where can you dispose of the waste from getting the gold from solution using SMB? Is it something I can boil off to evaporate or is that too hazardous? Also if I did this will it leave a film on my containers that could result in a contaminated powder before meting the gold?

Thanks for your input.

That topic should be re-opened. Or maybe I should open one.
We should discuss new ways for dealing with wastes.

Although the discussion there works well, the iron precipitate from lime/caustic drop is very hard to filter.
Using magnesium hydroxide as an alternative is not cost effective because magnesium hydroxide is expensive.

Isn't the acidic ferric chloride safe to throw because it is used as a flocculant anyway in waste water treatments?

The way the OP posed his third sentence:
*"Also if I did this will it leave a film on my containers that could result in a contaminated powder before meting the gold?"

Makes me think that he has only just precipitated the gold, and the "waste solution" is still in the same beaker with his gold powder.

If that is the case, then there is alot left to do before waste treatment or melting.

Metal Hydroxides are one of the most difficult things to filter. I gave up on the traditional gravity and vacuum methods and started using my "wick" filter, overnight. Worked amazingly well.

Back