Work outside and safety

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saadat68

Hi
1- After reading some topics I decide rent a house and work outside. So do I need pump gas to air with a simple hood or just a fan for remove gas from around me is enough ? ( work with max 2 liter nitric acid per day )
2- If need it does this simple hood work ? ( pump gas to a open tank with some NaOH and water)

dly9_54lk.jpg

With your neighbors that close I would think a fume scrubber is essential. You have a crude drawing of a hood and scrubber that shows the basic concept but needs a lot of improvement. There is plenty of information in the forum on fume control. I like 4metals vacuum scrubber. Several people here have built them, myself included.

IdahoMole said:
With your neighbors that close I would think a fume scrubber is essential. You have a crude drawing of a hood and scrubber that shows the basic concept but needs a lot of improvement. There is plenty of information in the forum on fume control. I like 4metals vacuum scrubber. Several people here have built them, myself included.

Thanks
I read his topic but I thought if I work outside don't need scrubber! or a simple scrubber work for me

NOx gas is not just one gas, it is a way to note several different gasses, in the case of using nitric acid on metals we are mainly speaking of two gasses, nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitric oxide an invisible gas that is not water soluble, and in the air nitric oxide combines with oxygen to make nitrogen dioxide NO2. nitrogen dioxide is a red-brown toxic gas deadly to yourself and your neighbors. This gas is somewhat water soluble (scrubber design is important for gas and water to have enough contact time to complete the chemical reaction...).

Fume hoods and scrubbers can help when designed properly and are maintained and used properly.

With neighbors as close as the drawing above, even with a very good fume hood and fume scrubbing system, your family and your neighbors could be harmed by these toxic fumes, it would be very hard to build a working and reliable fume hood and gas scrubbing system that could be relied on to keep you your family and your neighbors safe from these gases or refining processes even if you worked outside in such close quarters. My opinion would be to forget about doing this work close to home and your neighbors, move your work to a safer location. Spend time on studying the dangers involved and how to protect yourself and others around you.

I would NEVER set up to refine with neighbors only 10 feet away, even with a good fume hood and scrubber. That's foolishness to me and it's just asking for problems. 100 feet away, maybe.

goldsilverpro said:
I would NEVER set up to refine with neighbors only 10 feet away, even with a good fume hood and scrubber. That's foolishness to me and it's just asking for problems. 100 feet away, maybe.
butcher said:
NOx gas is not just one gas, it is a way to note several different gasses, in the case of using nitric acid on metals we are mainly speaking of two gasses, nitric oxide (NO) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitric oxide an invisible gas that is not water soluble, and in the air nitric oxide combines with oxygen to make nitrogen dioxide NO2. nitrogen dioxide is a red-brown toxic gas deadly to yourself and your neighbors. This gas is somewhat water soluble (scrubber design is important for gas and water to have enough contact time to complete the chemical reaction...).

Fume hoods and scrubbers can help when designed properly and are maintained and used properly.

With neighbors as close as the drawing above, even with a very good fume hood and fume scrubbing system, your family and your neighbors could be harmed by these toxic fumes, it would be very hard to build a working and reliable fume hood and gas scrubbing system that could be relied on to keep you your family and your neighbors safe from these gases or refining processes even if you worked outside in such close quarters. My opinion would be to forget about doing this work close to home and your neighbors, move your work to a safer location. Spend time on studying the dangers involved and how to protect yourself and others around you.

Oh my god another problem! :oops:
You say me I can not work here even with a good scrubber ?!
I can not rent a big house, it is expensive
must there is a solution

Back