What's going to happen when you croak?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

This is very important.

Cleaning up after various estates lately has left me with a sobering reality of what I'm preparing for my wife. It's always been "an organized mess"...meaning, I knew what everything was, and where it was. When it comes to chemistry, that's a death trap waiting to happen.

My wife has had very clear instructions for how to get rid of my machine shop equipment for years. It is clear that these are no longer sufficient. She also needs instructions on how to get rid of the acids and various solutions, as well as any values that may still be contained within.

At the very least, please make sure everything is labeled with something permanent....on the container, NOT JUST ON THE REMOVABLE LID. It's important for those that will be cleaning up after you.

I'm planning to spend my retirement with cleaning up all the clutter I have accumulated through my life so when my time is up there shouldn't bee too much stuff to take care of.

In the mean time I haven't been that detailed about what to do with my stuff if I would die. I just made it easy for me, I listed a number of friends that have the right knowledge to know what is garbage and what is worth taking care of or selling off different things. I have a number of interests so I have divided up my stuff in 5-6 different areas and have left contact details about who to call if I would die too soon.

Göran

This is an interesting topic that I have been thinking about bringing up.
I have talked with my wife about the dangers of the reactions I"m doing and she has little interest in them. My daughter and other family members are mildly intrigued but also have no interest in learning about what I'm doing. This doesn't bother me except for the thought of what they would probably do with anything I did not have fully processed at the time of my demise. Any waste chemicals or unfinished reactions would probably get dumped and any raw materials would end up in the trash. I try to keep everything carefully labeled and I process waste often but there are always a few gallons in various states of treatment around. I have even printed instructions for some of it but sadly I believe they will not even be looked at before the damage would be done if I were not around.
I have met only one other member of GRF and I believe he is a genuine person who would certainly be willing to come to my home and try to make things right if I were to pass away but we have only met briefly and I am not sure how to even approach that conversation. I really don't have a better solution to this problem though.
Anyone else have any other ideas?

This topic likely will be a little nightmare fo me.I have too much waste chemicals and unfinished chemical process that must be handle carefully.Unfortunately I have no friends who understand about chemicals.I don't know how to solve this problems right now.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

As a hobby refiner I don't have much volume laying around. But having said that even small amounts of some of it could be quite dangerous. Luckily my daughter is a degreed scientist and would know what to do with it, probably better than me.

This is one reason I slowed down. I got up to 4 gallons of waste and then thought about worst case scenarios, it scared me to death. The waste got treated but I do need to filter the sludge. My wife has kind of learned right along with me in this adventure so I think everything would be good. I have all contents marked and have separated everything so I am confident anyone with half a brain could walk in here and know what to touch and what not to touch without PPE.

Well, After selling my top quality e-scrap horde, my saddles, my railroad collection, my model trains, my classic cars, and my guns, my wife will be very wealthy. :D

silversaddle1 said:
Well, After selling my top quality e-scrap horde, my saddles, my railroad collection, my model trains, my classic cars, and my guns, my wife will be very wealthy. :D

Sounds like she might be a little overwhelmed having to sell all that stuff!!

I say this only slightly sarcastically as my dad was a collector and I'm now having to help my mom sort it out. It's a lot of stress on her, especially when she knows the value of some of it. She wants to do good by him, but also needs to be able to move forward.

But by all means, tell your wife that when it happens, hopefully a long time from now....post the auction flyer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silversaddle1 said:

I am quite worried that when I die my wife will sell all my 'toys' for what I told her they cost :lol:

kernels said:
silversaddle1 said:

I am quite worried that when I die my wife will sell all my 'toys' for what I told her they cost :lol:

Ahh you see the penance for your lies will be paid by another 8) 8)

kernels said:
silversaddle1 said:

Not really worried about that since she bought most of them for me, or was present when I bought them.

silversaddle1 said:
kernels said:
silversaddle1 said:

Not really worried about that since she bought most of them for me, or was present when I bought them.

Sensible man, it saves so much pain :shock: :D

anachronism said:
kernels said:
silversaddle1 said:

Ahh you see the penance for your lies will be paid by another 8) 8)
:lol: :lol:

Joko sulistyo said:
This topic likely will be a little nightmare fo me.I have too much waste chemicals and unfinished chemical process that must be handle carefully.Unfortunately I have no friends who understand about chemicals.I don't know how to solve this problems right now.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

I think that, at a minimum, you should post permanent warning signs around your work area, explaining that there are hazardous substances around. Include a list, if you can. You might want to also warn that the authorities should be notified in case of an emergency, and which authorities should be contacted.

-- Thipdar

silversaddle1 said:

I am somehow reminded of the man that read a classified ad about a Corvette for sale for $50.

He called and asked, was assured the ad wasn't a misprint or a typo, found out the condition of the car was nearly new and made arrangements to go see it.

When he laid eyes on it, he was astonished. It was a late model Corvette with low mileage and a clear title. After he handed over the cash and the woman had signed the title over to him, he couldn't help but ask why she had sold it so cheap.

She told the man "My husband told me that when he died, he wanted me to sell his Corvette and give all of the money to his Secretary. I'm going to make sure she gets every nickle of it..." :mrgreen:

-- Thipdar

Back