is it safe to use this propane torch.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francis

hello good evening Harold and Steve.

i would like to ask if it is safe to use this propane torch. According to the specifications indicated at the back cover, it is good for hobby and workshop.And more so it has a capacity of 80gram/ hr ( i think this is the pressure ).It is also stated there the "KEEP THIS APPLIANCE AWAY FROM NAKED FLAME"

Now my questions:

1.) is this kind of torch is capable of melting my scrap gold jewelries? specially 10 k and above? like rings, nakelace, etc.

2.) is it safe for me to use it? is there any possibilty that it will suddenly explode while im holding it in my hand?

3.) It is stated in the safety precaution that " KEEP THE APPLIANCE AWAY FROM NAKED FLAME" ------- isnt molten materials is hotter than naked flame?

Please im humbly asking for your advice and suggestions. THANK YOU SO MUCH !

by the way this torch is mae in korea i bought it for 700 pesos or 16 u.s dollar. i just wanted to perform a simple experement ( 10g of 18k ) .

Harold, thank you so much for giving me free access on hooke's book im still reading it its a very good book for those people who realy love prescious metals:)
Steve thank you so much for the formula.

this is the picture of the torch

francis,

I think the caution on the torch is for you to avoid heating the canister, which would have the potential to explode. As long as you can hold it in your hand without being burned, it is likely safe----just don't allow the canister to over heat.

The picture is quite small, and hard to define, but if it's what I think it is, it most likely will serve very poorly for melting gold, if at all. In order to achieve the temperatures that will perform well, a torch that uses bottled oxygen is far more desirable.

Try using the torch to melt a single item in a melting dish. If you achieve success, it may serve you on a limited basis. The larger the volume of material you try to melt, the less success you'll have if the torch is not suited for melting.

Sorry I'm not more help-----

Harold

I recently saw the same torch in a store selling Kitchenware & Baking Supplies, advertised as being good for lighting the barbecue etc.

Doesn't sound like this and an oxy/acetylene torch are in the same class.

Shaul

Hi, this is my first post... but anyways, I'm nearly 100% sure propane alone will not melt gold unless it is oxypropane and still, it'd take a while. This is just what I've heard and read about. I did try melting the gold flakes I have with a propane torch I've had for a couple years... and no dice, other than i did manage to shatter a glass table with the heated crucible =/

It could be worth a try though.

Propane alone can melt gold. Propane flam is higher than 1060C. But it's still very hard to do it. You would need very very good insulation.

You may try hollowing out a piece of charcoal,load your charge and fire your propane :lol: what fun :lol:

Back