1st time refining gold dont know if im starting off right

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trou813

:G :G.
Do I have the right Acid ? Do I have the right Beakers ? Can i use regular Glass Jars ? Will I mix the Acid right? Can I mess up the purity of the gold? And is Fire needed in the process of purifying the Gold . What is precious metal precipitant?
So #1 . Muriatic Acid. 20° Baume Hydrochloric Acid 31.45% 1 gallon . (Transchem brand)
#2. Ammonium Sulfate
#3. Acid Magic ( the user friendly Muriatic Acid)
#4. The Nitric Acid I don't have yet ( Don't know where to get it at?)

From the questions asked I would say you are not starting off right for your first time of refining gold.
Forget the chemicals and magic acids. What you need is a little time studying before you begin.

Like what im asking for guidance here i really don't want to start off sounding like an idiot. But lol I'm re considering that statement . please directions.

A good start can be found in the Learning section found here...

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69

While there download a copy of C.M. Hoke's books found the bottom of Frugalrefiner's posts, or try here for the printer friendly version....

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17706#p179081

OR the screen readable version found here....

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798

Also look into the Library section, lots of good stuff there......it is a part of the Learning section as well.

Once you read Hoke and get some idea of the chemicals used you will better understand which ones you might need. I started out with Hydrochloric acid / Muriatic acid. Sodium nitrate and/or potassium nitrate because I had no idea where to get nitric acid and the cost was prohibitive for something I wasn't sure I wanted to keep doing at the time. These will produce poorman's AR used for dissolving gold when done right. The hydrochloric acid can be used to produce AP which can help with the basics for removal of base metals. I have never used ammonium sulfate and really have no idea if it has any use in the basics of refining but I would avoid it at this time until you know very well where, why and how to use it.

If you do a forum search for the above underlined words you will find a world of information to get you started off on the right foot.

One more tip, if you see something on YouTube, ask the forum BEFORE you try it. It can save a lot of problems on your journey.

Hello,
It would help more if we knew what it was you are intending to process. 31.45% muriatic acid is good. Never heard of "user friendly" acid. I have used glass jars, but beakers are recommended because they are designed to handle the heating better. Old coffee carafe's will also be better than a jar but it can never be used for food again. What are your plans for the ammonium sulfate? Nitric acid can be purchased easily online but can be expensive, there are also ways to make your own.
More importantly than rushing out to get a bunch of supplies together, what do you want to do? If you have a specific type of material to work with it will be easier to tell you how to proceed.

Back