Bomex, as safe as Pyrex?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viacin

Bomex, Is it as safe as Pyrex? I've seen some articles on other websites about bomex flasks breaking and cracking when heated. And it's usually followed with a "You should have bought Pyrex" statment eventually.

Bomex is trash. Pyrex, or the European equivalent, Schott-Duran are high quality borosilicate blends. Use only these for applications that matter.

I want to run one batch to test it. Just one. If it works, then I'm a go, if not then no. the more I spend the more I have to lose. Pyrex is $25 for a 1000ml. Bomex is $8 If this batch gets messed up (i.e. beaker breaks), im screwed, but it's only one batch, just once and costs are a concern. what would you do? The bomex will actually withstand Nitric and AR, and applying heat to (to boil contents) won't it?

Very good point GSP. But after much discussion in another post, I've decided on actual beakers. However the bomex will be uesless to me if they are unreliable for a nitric boil.

"but it's only one batch"

Dude we all started with one batch. Kinda sounds like the old "Ruffles" potato chip commercial.

No one can do just "one".

You'll be a PM junkie like the rest of us.
:lol: :twisted: :lol:

Chris

viacin said:
I honestly hope so, this has got to be the best hobby ever.
I thought so, too, until it became my livelihood. I came to hate it.

Harold

I thought so, too, until it became my livelihood. I came to hate it.
With me, refining was never a hobby. It was my livelihood from day one. My hobby was always hand-carved, mahogany (usually), gold leafed signs. I got out of refining a couple of times, because I got tired of dealing with crooks, and did the signs as a business. That soon soured me on making signs. I have always loved refining, though.

Funny-------- I figured I could refine for the balance of my life and find great joy. That likely would have been true had things not taken a turn towards being difficult. For one, buying acid started being troublesome-----things were starting to tighten up, long before 9/11. I was also tired of spending my every moment working. In my case, I was a victim of my success. Business kept growing and had become more than I could handle. I knew better than to hire help-----and was eager to retire, in spite of not being wealthy. By then, the shine had gone off refining, at least the part where I got my hands dirty. Getting away from it for a while proved to be very good for me. I now enjoy talking about it, but I still don't have an urge to refine. That's a good thing, for where I live now, it would border on impossible------and I have no desire to process e scrap. After processing karat gold for years, I'd feel like I was spinning my wheels.

I now bathe myself in the glow of my previous success, and try to help others. That seems to satisfy any need I may have for interacting with the metals.

I, too, got tired of the morons you have to deal with. The worst offenders had a tendency to be prospectors, but I encountered more than a few bench men that had no clue. I did my best to help them gain knowledge so their end product would be improved. I found prospectors to be nice guys, just woefully misinformed and not in touch with reality. I learned to keep distance between them and myself. To this day I don't trust anything they say.

This forum has proven to be the best outlet of all. It's so much better to deal with folks that have a real desire to learn.

Chris----your experience in turning your hobby to making a living more or less is the same-----nothing kills a hobby faster than turning it into a livelihood.

Harold

Harold, it sounds like you've lived a good life. I wish your sucess on many others, myself included. I know what you mean about getting burned out.

I started webdesigning as a hobby in my teens and loved it. It quickly turned into a full fledged business, and I soon found myself hating it. I sold out with enough to retire in my late teens. However, fate had other plans. I got married at 18, had a child at 19, and then my father died when I was 20, leaving my mother a poor widow. Soon my small hoard of cash had dwindled to nothing. After much convincing by creditors, I decided to get a real job. I decided I wanted to work with my hands , so I chose professional landscaping. The company I was working for went broke several years later, and a friend wanted to start a advertising company with me. Even after months of great sucess, I became bored with the same old drudgery and sold out to him. I've been a machinist for 5 years, and found myself wishing for a new career last year.

When I look at the details of my life these past few years, it seems like it has all been leading up to gold refining somehow, call it fate if you believe in that sort of thing. So many things I've done and studied play into refining like nothing else, and it gives me a thrill like I've never had before. I hope this lasts, but I will remember your words harold. I feel like they will ring true yet again in my life.

Ok, so bomex must be trash? Has anyone heard of ACE glass inc.? I've found some great deals on their labware, but I know nothing of it's composition.

A very wise (and rich) man once told me "You will hate whatever it is you love doing if you do it long enough, so you damn well better get rich doing it."

As for Ace Glass Inc, they're quite the name in the game--they're the biggest glassware supplier in the world. They use all Pyrex blend borosilicate. Good quality too.

Lou

The conversation between viacin and Harold has been moved to the About Myself forum, for those that may have an interest. It was off topic by a large margin.

Harold

Harold. so glad to hear you love helping us on this site, the information you are contributing is priceless to us, more valueble to me than the metal I am getting, I hope you are rewarded for this hard earned effort, and dont get too fustrated at us for making you repeat yourself. (Remember Guys Incenerate it Does Wonders) thank you so much!!! :!:

Thanks, butcher. I don't mind repeating myself, not as long as it provides a benefit. Besides, the most stubborn of readers will finally come to terms with the fact that reading something time and again may be the solution to many problems, assuming they read it.

The forum has grown so large now that it's hard to find information. I expect that the new guy in will ask questions, especially after the frustration of doing a search and not finding the topic, or finding so many hits that it's impossible to sort through them to find the answer to a specific subject matter.

Incineration is one of the things that should be obvious to readers. But----remember-----my tutor was Hoke. She stressed incineration, although I don't agree with her comment of tossing on gasoline freely. I wonder-----how many people met their end by following that advice?

Harold

Harold_V said:
Thanks, butcher.
The forum has grown so large now that it's hard to find information. I expect that the new guy in will ask questions, especially after the frustration of doing a search and not finding the topic, or finding so many hits that it's impossible to sort through them to find the answer to a specific subject matter.

As always, you hit the nail on the head harold. I have made a habit of searching before I post, but half the time what I get back isn't related to what I'm looking for at all. I try hard not to post things twice, but usually after I ask a question I will stumble on the answer somewhere. Everyone please forgive me if I double post, I'm getting better :D

Back