Question about enviromental efects

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosef

Hi all, I have been looking at refining precious metals. My family has free roaming rabbits and chickens in our back yard, and my mom does not want the gold processing to hurt them or any family members. Does anybody have any suggestions?

It would not be wise to attempt refining without having some kind of secured area, regardless of having critters running loose, or not.

Harold

We have an empty pool and a section of the back porch fenced off so that the babies don't fall in the pool. Do you think that would work for a separated area? the shallow end is only about 2 feet deep so my head would be above ground level.

What metals, from what materials, and by which process.

Some processes are far more pervasive than others. Larger scale processing can also influence the range of effect. One can experiment in as small as a test tube.

Gold and platinum from computers. I was thinking about the Aqua Regia process, but I am not sure now that I found you guys. Currently small scale. I also downloaded the PDF copy of Hooke's book.

AR and nitric are the worst offenders that I know of. HCL/CL and AP have lower volumes of fumes. Open air reactions are are always weather dependent. Light variable winds can be a difficult problem. An electric fan can help on still days. From my experience fumes can be a problem up to 25 feet perhaps even more from a coffee pot sized reaction. I use a home made condenser for AR and Nitric reactions the fumes are greatly reduced.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3269&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I don't think working in the pit of a pool sounds safe, the air flow may just swirl fumes around in your breathing zone.

So, I should probably do it on the fenced off area of the patio. Also, what would be the safest way to do the refining. We almost NEVER have snow so cold is not a problem. However, it does get really hot and really windy.

Wind is your friend, assuming it isn't horrible. It will continually disperse fumes that are generated.

I always used commercial acids in refining, so I am not familiar with the work-arounds these guys are using. However, it stands to reason that the slower action of the methods employed are a function of the lower fume output. I expect that if you could accelerate those same reactions such that they'd be as fast as using commercial acids, you'd likely experience fumes much in keeping with the acid methods.

Don't use an area that can become a fume trap. Working from a pool could have some negative consequences if you had no breeze. Also, don't use chemicals (especially HCl) anywhere that you have ferrous objects stored. The fumes will rust the hell out of anything in the vicinity.

Harold

Do you think that I would be able to do the electric cell thing. I am not sure but I think the fence is iron, which means it will probably rust away pretty quick if I do anything with a lot of fumes.

Harold_V said:
Don't use an area that can become a fume trap. Working from a pool could have some negative consequences if you had no breeze.

Some fumes are heavier than air, you would not want to breathe them.

hosef said:
Do you think that I would be able to do the electric cell thing. I am not sure but I think the fence is iron, which means it will probably rust away pretty quick if I do anything with a lot of fumes.
Not if it is painted. Bare metal is at risk, but covered items will withstand indirect contact nicely. It would not be prudent to work in close proximity, however.

Harold

In Las Vegas It is either so hot that it is not fun to be out side or it is so windy that it blows stuff around. Also, My dad is a computer technician, so whenever a computer breaks beyond repair he gives it to me for part scraping.

Attachments

• 021409080019.jpg
    021409080019.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 021409080109.jpg
    021409080109.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 021409080254.jpg
    021409080254.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 021409080319.jpg
    021409080319.jpg