free fume hood

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usernameguy

I hesitate to mention this, however, I assume some level of intelligence to anyone interested in this site.
Things to consider. pilot lite burning, ie. flammable vapors, heavier than air fumes. Basic common sense aside, in case you haven't thought of it, one could use a wood stove as a fume hood. This is the best option, but if this isn't available, everyone has a furnace/boiler that can be used. Sorry if this is already been mentioned, I just thought something's better than nothing if you use some common sense. I use this method for being able to smoke in the house during the hellishly cold months without worrying about the family. If you have a cigarette or something, test it out to get an idea of where the best draft is, and set up a little table or something if needed to get the proper height regarding the top of your beaker.
-Guy
p.s. Is it possible to just see the posts/replies in say the last day without looking into all the different topics? If so, how? I've not spent a ton of time on forums. Thx!

Rusting of your flue will be an issue over time. And later the potential of CO leaks. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a big reason not to use this method.

Top right of the forum index view last 24hrs.

Yeah, I did think of the potential rusting, I'm curious if others think of things why not to use this method. It still may be better than nothing if there's no other options. I agree, it just doesn't seem quite right either. I don't think I'd do this if the family were around, just cause. I don't understand the point about Carbon Monoxide though.

Oh, I reread it. I understand... from rusting holes in the vents. got it. This is true, but it could just be another factor in determining whether someone should do it or not (reaction specific).
just noticed the edit button so I don't have to reply again.
Thanks Quest for the info on postings since last visit.

If you rust holes in your flue or the heat exchanger of your furnace you risk releasing carbon monoxide into your home. No odor, no taste, no warning. Every year during heating season whole families are found dead due to a faulty furnace.

yeah, this would be less than desirable. Maybe the wood stove would be the best option. It'd work the best anyway.
-Guy

usernameguy said:
yeah, this would be less than desirable. Maybe the wood stove would be the best option. It'd work the best anyway.
-Guy

No----the best option is to not do it. Destroying the flue isn't just a possibilty, it's a surety.

My lab had a fume hood that ran almost continually. Off the lab there was a furnace room that had a fresh air supply for combustion. The heat exchanger was in poor condition after about ten years, simply from the small amount of air it picked up from the lab.

I don't think setting fire to your house is a better choice than killing yourself with carbon monoxide. That's one of the risks of using the flue for chemical disposal.

Sometimes you simply have to do the right thing-------this is one of them.

Harold

Back