Safety

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destroyer

Hand tool saftey if you are prying something off a board put it in a vice and clamp it down. Never hold an item in your hand and try to remove it.
I have a Pinky that agrees with this.

Chemicals never ever use HFL http://www.hepn.com/tri/hfl.htm it will kill you period. We had a lab tech spill a bit on himself on his forearm there was no saving him he died. We used on our Offshore Platform and it was total lock down on the rig. HFL just don't even think about it nothing to be gained.

Wear safety Glasses always.

Tile saw for finger recovery, you won't chop your finger on Harvesting your fingers with a Wet Tile saw and you can rent them if you lkie they make small ones that will do the job as well. But water and Electricty is a hazard to be aware of. The Wet saw cools the cutting process and eliminates dust. I found one for $88 here in California it is small but would do the job very well smaller blade than the one I use thinner cut.

Wear a at least a half mask when ever messing with fumes.

No pursuit is so worth while that it should be done at the expense of safety.

Use a JSA Job Safety Analysis to do your work.
Written it is very simple and looks like this.
Step Hazard
Mixing Acid Never pour water into a concentrated acid as it heats up and can spit hot acid at you.
Control
Always pour Acid into water

Just take the steps and work out the hazards and mitigate them with a preventative step.

This is near and Dear to me as I have seen too good people many leave this Earth way to young and it could have been prevented.

Safety First always.

Clorox and Ammonia never mix them. One day I came into a fuming Urinal at work Bleach and Ammonia. Some punishement for bad Aim huh?

JSA are great they help minimize hazards but also you can learn from accidents as well and add to the JSA.

Today I had a spill I was holding a large Glass contianer about 4 gallons I had precipitated already and the bottom sliped on my table. and about 1-2 cups spilt out on the table and on to the ground. I had some Lime already for just such a thing. I was also using my Half Mask MSA. Golves and safety Glasses. It spilled while I was looking at all that wonderful brown stuff in toi bottom.
Next time I will just wait and put it into a big water dispenser I use to drain off Acid after precip. I was using SubZero(Can't wait till it is all gone) so it can do some damage.

So I learned non slip surface for my work bench and to be a bit more patient to see how well I did. It was nice to have what I needed right on hand I am sure it helped.

Destroyer

I use a 6" diamond saw made by Hi-Tech Diamond, its a lapidary trim saw, its a great little water cooled saw! The blades I use are Pro-Slicer 6"x .012" x 5/8" arbor. They are called opal blades and cut a very thin kerf. They are great and last very well but will cut you to the bone in a second!

Your absolutely right about tile saws wider diamond blades.

Thank you for the website!

Wayne

austexjwlry said:
Destroyer

I use a 6" diamond saw made by Hi-Tech Diamond, its a lapidary trim saw, its a great little water cooled saw! The blades I use are Pro-Slicer 6"x .012" x 5/8" arbor. They are called opal blades and cut a very thin kerf. They are great and last very well but will cut you to the bone in a second!

Your absolutely right about tile saws wider diamond blades.

Thank you for the website!

Wayne

Thanks for the post yeah you have to test it out first hopefully not with your finger, not all blades are the same but sounds like yours work great the Diamond tile saw it kinda like a saw for a cast .

A few comments about diluting acids with water.

I have often wondered why they tell you to always pour the acid into the water. When "they" say this, they include ALL types of acid. They make it a blanket statement.

When it comes to sulfuric, phosphoric, glacial acetic, and certain other acids, this rule is very important. If you pour the water into the sulfuric, the mixture, at the point of combination, instantly heats up and can easily produce splattering.

When diluting sulfuric, ALWAYS pour the acid into the water. I also might mention that both water and acid should be at room temperature when doing this.

About the only other acids we use are nitric, hydrochloric (muriatic), or a combination of the two (aqua regia). When diluting these, it is very safe to pour the water into the acid, whether hot or cold. Only a few degrees of heating will occur, if any. When working with nitric and hydrochloric, it is probably safer, in many cases, to pour the water into the acid, rather than having to handle and pour the strong acid itself. Either way works, with these acids. If I'm pouring these particular acids from a plastic jug with a handle, I'll pour the acid into the water. If one of these concentrated acids is in a bucket, beaker, or jar, it's safer to pour water into the acid.

I imagine that the reason that "they" set up the general rule was so that water would never be tragically poured into sulfuric acid.

goldsilverpro said:
I imagine that the reason that "they" set up the general rule was so that water would never be tragically poured into sulfuric acid.

I agree. I've poured water in to nitric and HCL routinely, with no problems whatsoever. Pouring water in to sulfuric, on the other hand, is asking for instant trouble, particularly if the solution is warm. The mixing is exothermic in nature and can yield steam instantly. Spattering can be the smallest of your worries----a steam explosion can result with severe emptying of the vessel.

Acid in your eyes is not a fun experience. Been there, done that. Work safely! :wink:

Harold

Back