what concentration of Sodium Hypochlorite Needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtechedo

Greetings to all members in this forum. Just pondering on dissolving gold foils from RAM fingers with hcl + bleach. But at this juncture, I am curious about this type of bleach I can holdon to. :arrow: It main ingredient is sodium hypochlorite of 3.5% w/v, sodium chloride, Caustic soda and de-mineralized water :?: . My question is "will this work well if added to hcl to dissolve just gold foils. Your candid answer is highly recommended.

Assuming you have a large excess of acid to neutralize the caustic soda that is in your sample, any concentration of hypochlorite should work. you just have to adjust the amount used to accommodate the stoiciometry

Rougemillenial said:
Assuming you have a large excess of acid to neutralize the caustic soda that is in your sample, any concentration of hypochlorite should work. you just have to adjust the amount used to accommodate the stoiciometry

Thanks for your response but can I be more clearer. Will the presence of the caustic soda make it not work. Please, be more vivid in your explanation. Thanks

The caustic is present in most hypochlorite solutions to help keep it in solution, so it's expected when using HCl and bleach. As Rougemillenial mentioned, be sure you have an excess of HCl, as some of it will be consumed in reacting with the caustic.

Dave

If it fizzes when added to your acid it is still acidic and works. If it doesn't fizz then add more acid. Still no fizz then your bleach is bad.

The caustic in the bleach isn't very strong, I've never managed to run out of acid when using HCl and bleach.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
If it fizzes when added to your acid it is still acidic and works. If it doesn't fizz then add more acid. Still no fizz then your bleach is bad.

The caustic in the bleach isn't very strong, I've never managed to run out of acid when using HCl and bleach.

Göran

Thanks for your reponds, I am very grateful for your contribution. ..

realtechedo said:
Rougemillenial said:

Thanks for your response but can I be more clearer. Will the presence of the caustic soda make it not work. Please, be more vivid in your explanation. Thanks
Ok. So use more acid. Essentially, the excess acid neutralizes the hydroxide and thus removing it from the system. Also yes, the caustic soda will cause the chlorine to reform the hypochlorite. It'll work, you just need to use more hydrochloric acid

Back