Liquid waste from silver processing.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joko sulistyo

Hi,all.I'm new member in this great forum.My name is Aria from Indonesia.I need help from you.I have many drums of copper nitrate solutions.it's came from recovering silver process from contacs button.the chemical in the liquid is hno3 and hcl.can I reuse this liquid to process silver again?I mean how to recover hno 3 in this solutions?I'm sorry my english is bad.Thank's you.
62d818435c754f2d4e7a9a109be928f6.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Check what is the saturation solubility of copper nitrate. If you're still far
from it, you can use the solution, but the reaction (of producing AgCl) will
get slowlier and slowlier, until saturation is achieved. Recovering HNO3
in this condition is not practical, at most you can recover the copper with steel wool

In a suitable apparatus for distillation, Nitric acid can be produced by adding Sulfuric acid and distilling off the Nitric acid, leaving Copper Sulfate.
Most of the water should be distilled off before adding the Sulfuric acid. The Copper can be recovered by using scrap Iron or recovered in an electrolysis cell. This has the advantage of recovering the Sulfuric Acid, which can then be recycled.

Yes but if you understand the copper cycle you can recover the copper which will go a long way to paying for your raw materials.

Joko sulistyo said:
Hi,all.I'm new member in this great forum.My name is Aria from Indonesia.I need help from you.I have many drums of copper nitrate solutions.it's came from recovering silver process from contacs button.the chemical in the liquid is hno3 and hcl.can I reuse this liquid to process silver again?
As you have HCl in it there could be some problem to recover a nitric acid that is clean enough to use for silver processing.

If you start with copper nitrate + silver nitrate and then add HCl to recover silver chloride you will now have a mixture of copper nitrate, nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. It is possible to add silver nitrate to get all the chloride out so you would have a copper + silver nitrate in nitric acid. Then it's easier to reuse the nitrate to make more nitric acid.

To get most of the silver out without adding too much chloride contamination is a tricky balancing act, but if it was easy everyone would do it. Going from nitrate to nitric acid can be done in a number of ways and have been described many times so I won't go into details here.

By the way, have you checked for palladium in the nitrate waste? Depending on application some contact points could have palladium in the alloy.

Göran

Thank's you for the answer.I was not test the solutions for palladium.I just recover silver only.Some times I use this waste solutions as electrolyte to stripping silver plated connectors.
6b215b7f838612e0a7f7e83dfcbfb217.jpg

The reason why I didn't recover palladium is D.M.G difficult to found here.is there other ways to cementing palladium?Help me to know how,please..

Cement with copper, it will kill any acid left too, though.

Göran

Just giving an alternative as I have no experience with palladium and ascorbic acid. To me it would be more expensive to sell my excess copper and buying ascorbic acid.

It's also an easy way to test, take a sample of each container and put a copper wire in it to see if something cements.

Göran

Thank's.I will try to use copper to cementing palladium.I have no ascorbic acid now.

Yes.Now I understand.so I will try vitamin C too and compare beetwen using vitamin C and copper tube.I am still begginer in recovery and refining process.Thanks.

Back