Stannous Chloride Dihydrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aberu_

I currently have a lot of SnCl2 dihydrate. Is it possible to test for gold/other metals using the dihydrate? If not, how would I go about turning this into an aqueous form? Can I just dissolve it in water?

Dissolve about a gram in 20 ml. of distilled water. Then add about 5 ml. of HCl, and if you have it, a little metallic tin. The HCl will help prevent hydrolysis, and the tin will help any stannous that oxidizes to revert back to stannous.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Dissolve about a gram in 20 ml. of distilled water. Then add about 5 ml. of HCl, and if you have it, a little metallic tin. The HCl will help prevent hydrolysis, and the tin will help any stannous that oxidizes to revert back to stannous.

Dave
Thanks for the quick reply!

I know it is standard practice to do stannous chloride test on aqua rega after precipitating out the gold to insure there is no gold left in the solution. My question is this, what would a brown hit indicate? If this helps the material I'm processing is computer integrated circuit chips. If anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated. Yours Redcat 56

Not only excess, but often excess by a long shot.
Your rough guide is to use just under an equal mass of SMB for gold expected, then add a little more if still testing positive.

Back