Dropping the gold in the Hoke - "copperas"

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uciocciu

Hi everybody,
To improve my (weak) knowledges dealing with refining, I began to translate the Hoke into French language a few days ago.
Big work... :roll:

Doing this (colossal) job, I realized Hoke often refers to "copperas", so as to refine the gold.

Could someone kindly tells me what is "copperas"?

Is it a special kind of copper?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Best,
u ciocciu

Copperas is an antiquated name from the times before chemistry was well understood. Ferrous sulfate is green in color. People understood that copper could develop a green patina as it aged, so they named ferrous sulfate copperas based on its color.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Copperas is an antiquated name from the times before chemistry was well understood. Ferrous sulfate is green in color. People understood that copper could develop a green patina as it aged, so they named ferrous sulfate copperas based on its color.

Dave

Nice little tidbit of history Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Translation won't be successful, if translator can't even use Google or Wikipedia for simplest things.

Took me 3 seconds to find: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfate_de_fer(II)

Thanks to each of you, and especially to the nice and modest Finland guy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I warn you to be careful asking questions. Most here just like to tell you to search the forum and read hokes book.

I will tell you i am just starting. I have read hokes book now and still am dcared to ask questions here. Lol

Wizzlebiz said:
I warn you to be careful asking questions. Most here just like to tell you to search the forum and read hokes book.

That is simply because any question you may have, odds are it has been asked and answered many times already. Also the search box will not judge your question in any way, It will just point you to answers. And your next question may be answered as well during your search.

I hear ya. And yes I have gotten alot of info in those ways. But there are just somethings you need to be able to go back and fourth on in a conversation to trully get a grip on.

No one should be afraid to ask questions here. It is why this forum exists.

It is true that many members will suggest reading Hoke's book or using the search function, but as Jim said, that's because most issues have been discussed before and reading those threads can answer many questions beyond the one at hand. We do ask members to make an effort to use the resources that are already here, but if you've done that and still need help, we are here to provide it.

It's interesting that you chose this thread to make your post. Uciocciu asked his question and received several good answers without anyone suggesting he use the search function.

Dave

why you want translate hoke to french ? you want sell the french version?
Make french talking people gold fiever sick and gold digger?
and since many poor african countries talk only french , i can imagine how much heavy metal will enter africa rivers now.

denisemadden,
You do not seem to understand and also appear to have some kind of deranged activist ideas of what this forum is about.

If your attitude does not get you banned maybe you can educate yourself here on this forum, if not maybe you need to join another forum and keep your misguided ideas.

Try the google translator or another online translator, you could also try and find a friend who can help you with the English version of Miss Hoke's wonderful book.

If I spoke French we could help those African miners to learn to keep their rivers clean and maybe even learn enough about gold to help feed their families.

Heck, you speak French, why couldn't you learn from us here on the forum and then go out to help others in Africa, you could if only you could open your eyes, and give up some of those misconceived idea's, flaming a forum which you know nothing about. Which by the way, flaming is not allowed here, and against the rules which will get you banned from a great education and sharing with people willing to help you learn.

butcher said:
denisemadden,
You do not seem to understand and also appear to have some kind of deranged activist ideas of what this forum is about.

If your attitude does not get you banned maybe you can educate yourself here on this forum, if not maybe you need to join another forum and keep your misguided ideas.

Try the google translator or another online translator, you could also try and find a friend who can help you with the English version of Miss Hoke's wonderful book.

If I spoke French we could help those African miners to learn to keep their rivers clean and maybe even learn enough about gold to help feed their families.

Heck, you speak French, why couldn't you learn from us here on the forum and then go out to help others in Africa, you could if only you could open your eyes, and give up some of those misconceived idea's, flaming a forum which you know nothing about. Which by the way, flaming is not allowed here, and against the rules which will get you banned from a great education and sharing with people willing to help you learn.
I Mean gold recovery like made by indian in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhz0sgfYD8M

USA has not limited access to strong acid for no reason :lol: :lol:

denisemadden,

I can buy strong acid in most any hardware store in any city or rural town in America, there is no limit to the amount of "strong acid I can buy.

Most Americans because of lack of education, will buy these acids and pour them down their toilet, instead of using a safer and more efficient tool.

I have not or do not care to watch the video you posted, as I am sure it is someone who is uneducated in the art of working safely and efficiently, putting himself his family and his neighbors lives in danger through his need to feed his family.

Here is where the forum can help him to understand the dangers, learn to work safely and in an environmentally safe method keeping himself his family and his neighbors healthy, and gain an education that will help him to feed his family safely and more profitably,

You should make your comments about those videos on the links provided of the videos posted.
Not on this forum a forum which is actually trying to educate these people of the dangers, and teach them safe practices.

Denisemadden,

The video you link to is one of those that I classify under the category of “YouTube can kill” due to the poor personal safety and poor waste disposal considerations. I did not watch the entire video. Less than two minutes was all I could take.

Time for more coffee.

@denisemadden

I don't understand the reason for your post.

I translated the whole Hoke's book into french so as to improve my knowledge, because as a french guy and a young refiner , it's not so easy to read it in English.

I would never have done this translation to sell the book. Maybe some people would do that, I simply can't.

Miss Hokes has done a great work and she deserves so much respect.

The first way to respect her is to respect her property.

I really hope you understand what I mean.
I made the translation for myself.

Best,

Olivier

butcher said:
+1

Back