AP solution gone thick - help appreciated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

human

Hello all

I have been using the same AP solution for some time now, using it only to process fingers. I usually top it up with hydrogen peroxide which seems to have been doing the trick. Since processing my latest batch of fingers the bottom quarter of the solution has become very thick. All of my previous batches the solution has remained very watery whereby it has been easy to decant the solution and retrieve the gold flakes that have accumulated. With this thick solution I am afraid that the flakes are now suspended in this thick solution. I added a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to which the solution reacted by fizzing quite violently. Is it possible that my solution has been saturated with copper and that is the reason for it going thick on me?
I assumed that by adding either HCL or hydrogen peroxide that I could thin down the solution to a point to where I would be able to retrieve the gold flakes. Or should I be thinking on a different line of thought. Also would I be right in assuming that I would be able to continue using the AP solution on future batches of fingers. If this assumption is on the right track I guess I should be thinking of trying to drop out the copper.
Before getting to far ahead of myself I wanted to get some advice on how to properly proceed. Any of which will be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for help

I have been reusing the same AP for two years. I only add HCL, never H2O2.
After I leave it alone for a while covered, I always come back to see the
darker color olive-brown solution as a nice emerald green and I start over
recovering foils from gold fingers. 8)

i have had used A/P from a 3.5 pound MLCC digestion from over a year ago, its in a sealed plastic bottle.
its also clear thin liquid emerald green in colour, if i shake it up it has tin on the bottom & a slight purple colour from the die in the MLCC

even when it was open to the air it did not thicken. try filter it & see how it turns out.

Hello
First you need to read through older posts on using AP.
It's covered in there if you dig a little as well as other things that can arise.

Had you read enough to learn about the process and what happens, you would know better then to keep adding Peroxide.

Read more and you will find the answer to your dilemma.

Sorry I refuse to answer the direct question based on the information given. It shows you need to read more.

B.S.

Back