Removing aucl from filters.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoon

Hi all. Let’s get right to the point. I thought I’d try and extract all the gold from my old filters by adding them to the foils for the hcl/ bleach process. All went well, solution went yellow and filtered into a flask. But I’m left with a yellow mash in the filter that won’t let go of the aucl (positive stannous test). Anyone got any hot tips of getting the gold out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you are using gravity filtration?
Rinse with warm water until it runs clear and the solution (Drips) test negative for gold.
Don't just pour it full of water. Start by rinsing from the top of the filter rim by dripping hot water around the top. As the water runs down the filter it will wash the filter from top to bottom and gather in the bottom rinsing the mush. It may take several washes.

Ahh, warm water is the trick eh? I’ve just been constantly spraying it with cold. Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_5333.JPG
IMG_5332.JPG
Gold dropping out as gold particles after I added smb....too much chlorine due to the excess water I added to clean the filters?
Any suggestions to redissolve the gold and re precipitate?

Heat the solution to drive out any excess chlorine then allow it to settle until the fine gold particulate settles out.

Once settled, carefully pour off or siphon the excess liquid and test it with fresh stannous for dissolved Au.

Follow standard clean up and purification processes (eg: gold washing, redissolve in minimal solution, and reprecipitate) on brown gold powder.

Steve

For a mixture of brown powder and filter paper incinerate the paper in a low flame without melting the Au into a BB.

Process the incinerated powder as if it were impure Au.

Steve

Back