Milspec gold plated pins newbie needs help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsternmyroom

I'm buying these milspec pins off eBay and I need help with the recovery process. I don't have nitric but I have hcl, peroxide, bleach, and sulfuric acid. What's the best way to handle this situation?

I was trying to think of a nice way to say what the two posts above have said.

Your question is so broad as to be basically unanswerable, starting down this path with 'mil spec' plated pins (bought for too much) is a bad idea.

monsternmyroom said:
I'm buying these milspec pins off eBay and I need help with the recovery process. I don't have nitric but I have hcl, peroxide, bleach, and sulfuric acid. What's the best way to handle this situation?
What is your goal? Learning to refine or making money?

If you are after the max amount of money then sell it on ebay, people pay more than the gold is worth on ebay.

If you want to learn the art of refining then put the pins away and then download Hoke's book and read it to start with.

Göran

I, like everyone, have their pet peeves. One of mine is the use of the very overused term "Milspec." The person selling these pins is using the term in an attempt to make people believe that these pins are military pins and, therefore, the gold is thicker than normal non-military gold plating. This is total BS. First of all, the pins MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be military pins. Secondly, the Milspec (for gold, it's MIL-DTL-45204D) is simply a convenient way to call out the purity, hardness, and thickness of gold plating, using a universal US code. The military (and industry, if they so desire - many do) uses this code. Almost all of the gold plating you've ever seen that's at least 20 millionths of an inck thick could be called Milspec gold plating. For example, if an industrial company wanted their pins plated with 30 microinches of hard (130-200 knoop) gold of 99.7% purity, they would call out on the purchase order: Gold plating as per MIL-DTL-45204D - Type 1, Grade C, Class 0.

See attachment - It's the latest one I could find

Attachments

• MIL-DTL-45204D.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 21
Monster,
How many of these pins did you buy? The term "Milspec" doesn't mean anything to me either- especially on ebay. Are they fully plated, do they have steel or plastic? Post a picture. Depending what you have will determine the best options.

I know these are not MILSPEC :?
a few pins from a ADC 48 PORT VIDEO PATCH PANEL BAY decisions decisions

Attachments

• IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    436.2 KB · Views: 163
It's always telling to check the activity of a new member...

He spent a total of 7 minutes on the forum and that included posting the start of this thread. He didn't read a single thread after posting his question. That shows a real dedication to make an effort to learn the art of refining.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
It's always telling to check the activity of a new member...

He spent a total of 7 minutes on the forum and that included posting the start of this thread. He didn't read a single thread after posting his question. That shows a real dedication to make an effort to learn the art of refining.

Göran

hey it is not so bad in this case

I learned something from this thread :)

-Artūrs

As per Chris' post.

The use of milspec as a term that defines whether or not something is heavily plated is wrong when used in isolation.

Whilst it may be a "standard" you must understand that certain applications far exceed this. Enterprise Telecoms equipment from certain manufacturers has plating on certain components that is ridiculously thick. Then again- enterprise telecoms equipment from a manufacturer like Huawei contains less gold than PC components.

I have had solid copper components that refine out at over 7g per Kg which normally you wouldn't expect because the plating is literally thick. The point I'm trying to make here is don't fall into the trap of going all "gaga" when the term milspec is used. 8) 8) Do more homework before buying the product.

Hope that helps.

Jon

goldgee35,
How do you know that the manufacturer didn't use Milspec 45204 call out to let the plater know what type of gold to use and how thick to plate it. Pins plated to a milspec callout doesn't necessarily mean that they were used by the military.

Meaningless terms for pins on EBay
Milspec
military
thick gold plating

GoldSilverPro (late reply) Thanx I should check definitions before using a word/Terminology (in this case "MilSPec" ) .... totally ignorant mistake..... please please forgive...... ( " a kind of standardized grading system" )

Attachments

• milspec.JPG
    milspec.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 62
Back