magnetic gold filled?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shark

I have been prepping gold filled item's to process and need to figure out what is magnetic and what isn't. Much of the items in question are clasp parts and will stick slightly to a hard drive magnet but not a regular magnet, (The name for the plain old iron magnet eludes at the moment). Any one know where to make the call for which magnet would best?

When a strong magnet sticks to a clasp, it's just attracted to the spring inside. I use both a weak and a strong magnet when screening jewelry. Weak magnet first to find any obvious stinkers. Then the strong to find potential gold plate. But they're not conclusive, just screening tools.

Dave

The springs were the problem with the clasp's. The others parts are marked as gold fill stainless, makes sorting them a little easier. I have another piece I need to figure out where it goes. It is a white metal, non magnetic but it is marked 14K GF. Would it be run with the other non magnetic items?

Maybe this is a bad habit, but I always run all of my goldfilled together, magnetic and non (of course I remove spring and anything just flat out ferrous)

But, if it is stainless, theoretically nitric should do no harm to it, so I just dump it all in the beaker and let it ride! :twisted:

Topher_osAUrus said:
Maybe this is a bad habit, but I always run all of my goldfilled together, magnetic and non (of course I remove spring and anything just flat out ferrous)

But, if it is stainless, theoretically nitric should do no harm to it, so I just dump it all in the beaker and let it ride! :twisted:

I have done that on small test lots as well. I have ran it in AP and even straight into AR. The problem is I am getting a steady supply of it now on a regular basis and need to make the most of it. I still need to find some better pricing on nitric if this all comes together as well.

Shark said:
I have done that on small test lots as well. I have ran it in AP and even straight into AR. The problem is I am getting a steady supply of it now on a regular basis and need to make the most of it. I still need to find some better pricing on nitric if this all comes together as well.

I know it is quite the drive from 'bama, but there was a place in Kansas City that GSP mentioned some time ago, where the guy would sell nitric to John Q Public, and it was reasonably cheap. I called on pricing awhile ago and I think it was less than 500 bucks for a 15gal keg, including the deposit as well. So, all in all, pretty good deal. But, there is certainly cheaper prices than that out there, and probably ones closer to your locale as well.

Where are you at in Bama Shark?
I can point you to nitric for $100 a keg (15 gallons).

Palladium said:

I tried sending you a PM twice, but they seem to disappear.

Shark said:
Palladium said:

I tried sending you a PM twice, but they seem to disappear.

I know he mentioned awhile ago that his inbox is so full he had problems getting new ones in, and he is unable to delete any old ones because they are quite important.
Maybe message an alias of his?

Ralph

Bottom left of your PM inbox there's a button to export the whole page's messages as an excel or csv file.

Do it, check you've got the data (save the files somewhere) and delete the page of messages. Rinse and repeat and you'll have an empty inbox. 8)

Jon

Beautiful!

Thanks for that little tid bit.

I hate going through and deleting a couple messages at a time after taking a small vote on which can go and which must stay

Back