What are these ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmadbayoumi

Dears,

Any idea what are these ?

And are they silver plated or note ?

And if so how much silver could be expected from this kind of material and how to strip the silver out ?

IMAG0019.jpg
IMAG0018.jpg
IMAG0015.jpg
IMAG0025.jpg

Nortel/Ericsson microwave base station waveguide housings. Silver plated Al.

If you work out a way to get 100% of the silver from those then keep it a secret because not even the big refineries can do it perfectly. 8) 8)

Thanks anachronism :)

Do you know how much silver could be recovered out of these ?

Also, what is the best way to deal with them if I need to keep the AL untouched ?

Is it diluted nitric acid ?

The answers are in the forum.

You won't find yield, but you will find methods to get a good amount of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, feel free to chime in with a bit of advice and some of your own yields once in a while, rather than just 'taking' knowledge with every single post. You've been at this for years ? You must know a few tricks and yields ?

I've ofter wondered if a guy could get one of those little self contained beadblast cabinets and strip a bunch of plated stuff and then just process the media and fines to recover the silver.

They are silver plated on alumunium.Some parts inside are silver plated on iron.Do test with magnet.Dilute hno3 can dissolving silver without affect the aluminium.But you will need much acid to soak them.Better use electrolysis to stripping the silver out.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

silversaddle1 said:
I've ofter wondered if a guy could get one of those little self contained beadblast cabinets and strip a bunch of plated stuff and then just process the media and fines to recover the silver.
I have the same idea, but with a concrete mixer with sand blasting sand.
I know i can not get all the silver,not all shapes are possible to rub of the silver,but i hope i can get 75%.
Mesh the sand, and recover the dust.Maybe it is possible to do a panning?
I have 125 kg silver plated brass, and will try it in my summer vacation.
Henrik

It doesn't work. You can't control the depth of the blasting and the plating is so thin in relation to the base metal that you're either taking not enough off or too much. Add to that the difference in the effect of the blasting media on the different metals and it goes south very quickly.

Back