What to do with solution before filter and melt

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldmind7

I have tried doing the sulfuric acid on gold fill with the electrodes and do the precip, filtering and melting. I got the 18K nuggets the instructions said I would get, but it was worth less than what I paid for the gold filled. I also have a process I have not tried yet from a guy who shows you how to use common cheao and safer stuff like peroxide, etc. to get the gold off, just slower he says but works.

My question is this, how can I get the solution into a gold form without the filter and torch part of the process? I think I don't do that so well and that is why I did not get a good yield. OR, is there a way I can just sell the solution without doing those steps (if no alternative).

Thanx for any help on this.

goldmind7 said:
I have tried doing the sulfuric acid on gold fill with the electrodes and do the precip, filtering and melting. I got the 18K nuggets the instructions said I would get, but it was worth less than what I paid for the gold filled. I also have a process I have not tried yet from a guy who shows you how to use common cheao and safer stuff like peroxide, etc. to get the gold off, just slower he says but works.

While I am no expert, I don't think a sulfuric cell will do a good job of recovering gold from gold filled material. There is a lot of information on the forum on refining gold filled. Once you have put metals into a solution, be it from peroxide and salt, vinegar or some other acid, it is still a toxic combination. Beware of some of the "safer" methods, and if you wish to try them, be sure you fully understand how to clean up the remains. You can do the math and determine pretty close to how much gold is in a given item or item's. With out understanding the math most people will over pay just because it says gold or something like "12K". Knowing this, one can make a better educated determination on how much to pay for materials. I see people argue the value of gold filled pretty often, and those are the ones that seem to think their ring or pendant is worth the spot price of gold, and go away mad thinking they are being ripped off.

My question is this, how can I get the solution into a gold form without the filter and torch part of the process? I think I don't do that so well and that is why I did not get a good yield. OR, is there a way I can just sell the solution without doing those steps (if no alternative).

Once you precipitated the solution, the material that comes from it is your gold, plus any other materials that may have came down with it. It is just so finely divided that it doesn't appear to be that golden yellow as we are used to gold being. To get that pretty gold look you will need to melt it, recombine the fine particles into a larger mass.

One thing to remember is that refining costs money and takes time (It sounds like you have that figured out already), if you have someone else pay you for the material you can use the money to buy your gold. You can have someone do it for you and pay them with part of the materials, or returns. What ever you can work out with the person doing the work that makes you both happy.

This is about as good as I can offer, without more explanation of exactly how you tried to process your material, and knowing exactly what and how much you ran.

My suggestion would be to stop what you're doing and spend some time studying this forum and the resources you'll find here. I'm going to guess you've been watching youtube, and that will get you hurt. You're mixing up processes and using them on the wrong materials.

goldmind7 said:
I have tried doing the sulfuric acid on gold fill with the electrodes and do the precip, filtering and melting. I got the 18K nuggets the instructions said I would get, but it was worth less than what I paid for the gold filled.
Sulfuric acid and electrodes sounds like a gold stripping cell. It's good for gold plated material, but will not work as well for gold filled. The material recovered in the stripping cell is easy to refine and you should end up with quite pure gold. The fact that the material cost more than you recovered means you either didn't recover all the gold or you paid too much for the material.

I also have a process I have not tried yet from a guy who shows you how to use common cheao and safer stuff like peroxide, etc. to get the gold off, just slower he says but works.
Many members use a process that uses HCl and peroxide to dissolve base metals and recover gold. It's usually called Acid Peroxide, or AP, though it is actually a CuCl2 leach. Again, it works well for certain gold plated material, but not all. Dissolving all that base metal will indeed take a long time.

If you just want to sell your material, don't waste time, money, and effort processing it part way. Buyers can identify the starting material and price it appropriately. Once you start dissolving things, no one knows what you have. You can find plenty of information here on either selling your material, or refining it. Stop what you're doing, put everything away in a safe place, and start studying.

Dave

Edit to add it looks like Shark posted some of the same good advice while I was typing my post, but since it takes me so long to type, I'll leave it.

goldmind7 said:

First, the advice already given is exactly right. Consider it carefully.

Now, my 2 Cents worth.

So far, all the refining I have done is for the enjoyment of accomplishing it (I’m thrilled every time I melt a gold button I know is very pure) and building up a base of proper equipment and knowledge. NONE of it has been profitable for me yet (unless you count the infrastructure and knowledge base I have gained as profit, which I do) but as far as gold accumulation, I would have far far more if I never tried refining and just put the money I have put into my shop into buying gold outright. But I love the journey and one day it might even pay off. That may not be everyone’s experience, but it is mine and I’m ok with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• a_button.jpg
    a_button.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 138
The gold button above is 3.4 g from ram fingers and ceramic CPUs with the acid peroxide method. There still a little crusty borax on the button that I have not yet cleaned off when I took that picture.

ARMCO said:
The gold button above is 3.4 g from ram fingers and ceramic CPUs with the acid peroxide method. There still a little crusty borax on the button that I have not yet cleaned off when I took that picture.

Give it a bath is some sulfuric acid and the borax will come off.

Shark said:
ARMCO said:

A bath in heated Dilute Sulfuric. And remember, always add strong to weak chemicals.

Smack said:
Shark said:
ARMCO said:

A bath in heated Dilute Sulfuric. And remember, always add strong to weak chemicals.

Thanks Smack, while I know it works better when heated, I often forget to mention that when talking about it.

Smack said:
Shark said:
ARMCO said:

Good advice all. The above is my practice. I just happened to be out of sulfuric at the moment and took the picture anyway. ;-)

No worries Shark, we've got each others back here. Someone was bound to add something about it.

Back