Gold filled or karat gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shark

While processing a new lot of gold filled I ran across a pair of eye glasses that had a strange marking but processed them as usual, nitric first. Anything that won't lay reasonably well in my beakers I cut into smaller pieces, as I did with these glasses. Since the side arms (?) were not gold colored at all, and magnetic, I removed them. Everything seemed OK as the nitric digestion went right along as usual. Now the odd part, when moving to the AR the remains from the glasses did not want to dissolve, and acted like karat gold in that they kept passivating and I had to constantly give them a vigorous stir to keep them going. The pieces from these glasses were still holding their full shape an hour after everything else had dissolved. The marking on these look like a very large K with the number 1 in the upper half and the number 2 in the lower part of the K in the bridge piece. There could have been more markings but they had been scuffed up pretty bad near the marking.

Is it possible they were karat gold? Did anyone even make karat gold eyeglass frames?

Thanks guys. I may start working some of the more oddball pieces in test mode to learn a bit more about this stuff.

Back